cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do the Smart Sync icons work and what do they mean?

How do the Smart Sync icons work and what do they mean?

musicspirit
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have used Smartsync to make space on my computer ( very useful). But I do not understand how the 3 symbols interact and work:

1 - Cloud symbol ( I get that: file is on the cloud not on the computer)

2 - Green tick in white circle  ( dont understand this?)

3 - Green tick fully green ( I think I understand  this: happens after I have double clicked a file and it is downloaded to the computer)

But can someone explain the following about Smartsync:

a) why are all the files in the Smartsync folder not the same? ie all on the cloud only

b) if I click on a file to look at it, it starts to automatically download back onto the computer  and take up space with a full green tick. How do I restore it back to the cloud after looking at it?

c) What is the relation of the green tick with white background files, to all this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

a) As you access files that are marked as Online-only (cloud icon), they are automatically downloaded back to your computer and marked as Local (green check). They remain Local until you make them Online-only again.

b) Right-click the file and select Online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

c) The green check on a white background refers to a mixed-state folder; one that contains both Local and Online-only files.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

a) As you access files that are marked as Online-only (cloud icon), they are automatically downloaded back to your computer and marked as Local (green check). They remain Local until you make them Online-only again.

b) Right-click the file and select Online-only from the Smart Sync menu.

c) The green check on a white background refers to a mixed-state folder; one that contains both Local and Online-only files.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?