cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does dropbox backup their servers

How does dropbox backup their servers

cbarnett88
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How are the files I have stored on Dropbox backed up by Dropbox? In other words, if the server that my files are on crashes, how does Dropbox restore the files? I am asking because I was asked by the Board of my non-profit if our membership list (Excel) is backed up. I said it was stored on Dropbox. They asked, how does Dropbox back up its servers?  

I tried researching this myself, but every inquiry that mentions the word "backup" yields search results about how I can use Dropbox as a backup service for my own files. That is not what I'm asking.

I can find plenty of information on the steps Dropbox takes for security and privacy, but I can't find any statement about how Dropbox backs up its servers. I just need a paragraph stating that they do it (even though I know that of course they do it).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cbarnett88, thanks for contacting us.

You can have a look through this article on our site, as well as the security whitepaper for more information on how the Dropbox service works.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @cbarnett88, thanks for contacting us.

You can have a look through this article on our site, as well as the security whitepaper for more information on how the Dropbox service works.

Let me know if you need any more info!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cbarnett88
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

I have seen that article already. It deals with security, not backup. What I want to find out is how Dropbox backs up its servers, not how they keep their data secure. Some possible answers are:  1. Servers are backed up continuously to off site servers. 2. Data downloaded to Dropbox is written to multiple servers for backup purposes.  

Let me put it this way. My data on Dropbox exists on a server somewhere. What if the building that that server is in burns down? Is my data recoverable from some other site?  I suspect the answer is "yes". What I'd like to see is an article explaining how Dropbox manages this.

cbarnett88
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Please disregard my previous reply. I just read the Whitepaper you cited, and it answers my questions about data backup. Thank you.

Colin

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbarnett88 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?