cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How does sharing folders on Dropbox work? Am I using my friends Dropbox account?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I entered the Dropbox world several years ago when a friend added me to his Dropbox. So I have a folder there that he and I use to share things, but I also have 3 other folders that show up on my computer that were used by other people to send me things. How do I figure out if they're all part of the same account? Should I assume that they are? Or should I assume that I'm only a part of my friend's account via the folder he created for me? I don't understand the basics of how Dropbox works. I'm asking because I want to upgrade my account (if I have one) so that I have more space. Thanks in advance for the help! DKB51

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How does sharing folders on Dropbox work? Am I using my friends Dropbox account?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @DKB51, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you’re sharing a folder with your friend. This doesn’t mean that this is their account, but your Dropbox account has a shared folder on it with your friend can access.

It’s possible that the other folders are the same, shared with those people.

You can check if it is your account by looking at the email address signed in on the Dropbox desktop application and the website.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: How does sharing folders on Dropbox work? Am I using my friends Dropbox account?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @DKB51, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you’re sharing a folder with your friend. This doesn’t mean that this is their account, but your Dropbox account has a shared folder on it with your friend can access.

It’s possible that the other folders are the same, shared with those people.

You can check if it is your account by looking at the email address signed in on the Dropbox desktop application and the website.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Jay, thank you for the reply! You must be right (I have an account) because I was able to upgrade the account. Either that or my friend owes me for the upgrade. (-:

It's just confusing to me because it looks like the folder I share with my friend is my main folder. Anyway, thanks, again for responding. Dan

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Good to know you were able to upgrade it, @DKB51!
Let me know if you have any further questions in future. 

Jay

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Polls
Have you been keeping up good habits while working from home?
We've created a working from home cheat sheet to help keep up on those habits, check it out here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?