cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How secure is the Vault?

How secure is the Vault?

Chris S.14
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The new Vault feature is useful, but I can't see any information about how secure it is, and what if any encryption is used on the files stored in there?

Is this a password protected folder?  How hard is it to get the data inside if you don't have the PIN?  I'm thinking of password protected folders on Windows which aren't really secure if you have access to the hard drive!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @Chris S.14.

Via the desktop app, the files will only sync down to your computer once you've entered the PIN to open the Vault on your computer.

Once you lock the Vault again, the files are removed from your computer, as mentioned in the article linked above.

On Dropbox itself, the files are encrypted in the same way the rest of your files are encrypted.

Does that help to clarify the process for the desktop app?

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Chris S.14, I hope you're well today!

You can only access the Vault once you've input the correct PIN that you set when creating the Vault.

If you do happen to forget the PIN, you would need to contact our Support team for assistance with regaining access to the files.

I'd suggest checking out this article for some more info, if you haven't already.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Chris S.14
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, but I already know how to use it - I wanted to know how secure it is.  Are files encrypted?  Or are they still on my computer but just hidden?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to me here @Chris S.14.

Via the desktop app, the files will only sync down to your computer once you've entered the PIN to open the Vault on your computer.

Once you lock the Vault again, the files are removed from your computer, as mentioned in the article linked above.

On Dropbox itself, the files are encrypted in the same way the rest of your files are encrypted.

Does that help to clarify the process for the desktop app?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

ejpyle
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

So, the encryption for Vault is no different than the encryption for every other file and/or folder stored on Dropbox. I was looking for a cloud storage provider that offered zero-knowledge. From the sound of it I'd say that regardless of where you upload your files Dropbox can still see everything.

It would be nice if they would roll out end-to-end encryption for at least the Vault folder.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for joining us here @ejpyle!

If you'd like to, I'd suggest checking out this discussion here for zero-knowledge encryption in Dropbox.

While it's not much, I hope this helps to some extent.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

LCPM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It seems that, if Dropbox tech support can help you access the vault if you can't recall your PIN, the vault isn't secure at all.

celltop
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Bit concerning all right...

Can staff access it ? If you forget your password?????

My faith in dropbox..has fallen dramatically.

cell.

LCPM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Consider Sync.com. They have e-2-e, zero knowledge cloud-based storage that works cross-device/cross-platform.

LCPM
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

20210225: Well, Daphne said, a month ago "If you do happen to forget the PIN, you would need to contact our Support team for assistance with regaining access to the files."
To me that says that Dropbox can access your files even if you can't. I've. Switched to sync.com for zero-knowledge, end-to-end, cross-platform, cross-device storage of important files.
Extra storage if you use my referral link :

[Referral link removed as per Community Guidelines]

While I'd like to see Dropbox get on board zero-knowledge encryption has been a request for a long time. They understand that, if they implement it, they can't harvest your info for selling.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Justin15 New member | Level 2
    aknyc Helpful | Level 6
    stryder Explorer | Level 3
    LCPM Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?