cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How secure is the Vault?

How secure is the Vault?

Chris S.14
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The new Vault feature is useful, but I can't see any information about how secure it is, and what if any encryption is used on the files stored in there?

Is this a password protected folder?  How hard is it to get the data inside if you don't have the PIN?  I'm thinking of password protected folders on Windows which aren't really secure if you have access to the hard drive!

12 Replies 12

stryder
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I was hoping to get rid of my Boxcryptor account.  For those that don't know, it's a stand alone product that can be used with all the cloud storage  providers to create an encrypted file system within the storage provider.  AES256, zero knowledge, fairly seamless integration, even encrypt directory names but it does cost.

aknyc
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am a newbie to Vault - just installed it.  After reading the exchange on this thread, I'm a bit confused - what is the reason one would use dropbox vault, especially if one's connected devices (desktops) are adequately physically protected?

In the hypothetical case of a  dropbox user with just one connected device - say a "physically secure" desktop - what is the Vault adding?  An extra layer of protection should the desktop get hacked?  Anything else?

Thanks!

Justin15
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I agree w/ the other folks in this thread that zero-knowledge encryption is important for me ... just wanted to add that I currently use the free open-source software product 'Cryptomator' to encrypt files within my Dropbox folder to achieve this and it works great.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Justin15 New member | Level 2
    aknyc Helpful | Level 6
    stryder Explorer | Level 3
    LCPM Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?