cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to Leave a Shared Folder

How to Leave a Shared Folder

Silvia K.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm relatively new to DropBox, and I'm using DropBox Basic, with no interest in upgrading to Pro at this time.  A client has shared a folder with me that includes many subfolders, and I have just reached my space limit.  I'd like to leave some of those subfolders to open up some space.  Is this possible, and how do I do it?  Is the only solution to leave that top-level folder?  If so, will that interfere with the client's ability to share with me more subfolders of that top-level share in future?  I need to be able to let the client share new subfolders, while I drop older subfolders to maintain a reasonable amount of space.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dermot D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here you go. Should work. I just did it myself and I didn't own the folder. It worked perfectly.

1. Hit Sharing button

2. You will get a list of folders that are shared with you. Click on the share box beside the one you want to get rid of.

3.  You can't manage the folder but you will notice a box that states that you can edit this folder. Click on 'Can edit'.

4.  Now you will notice 'Remove my access' in red. Click on it.

5.  You will be asked if you want to keep a copy of the folder. I declined and the folder was deleted from dropbox.

Hope this helps.

Dermot

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/leave-shared-folder

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Silvia K.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I tried followed those instructions on the main folder that's shared with me, and also on one of the subfolders.  Neither gives me "Remove my access" as an option.  Ideally I'd like to remove my access to subfolders, not the main folder.  Below I'm inserting pictures of what I see, first for the main folder, and secondly for the subfolder.  Does anyone have further advice?  Do I need to use the desktop app instead of the website to get the desired option?  Thanks!

What I see when clicking the "Share" link for the main folder: (names/emails omitted)

What I see when clicking the "Share" link for a subfolder:

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Ideally I'd like to remove my access to subfolders, not the main folder.

That's not possible. You either have access to the entire share and all of it's content, or you can leave the share and lose access to it all. If you just don't want the sub-folders to sync, you can use Selective Sync to remove them from your local computer, but they will still be in your account.

Silvia K.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you for the explanation.  However, I still don't know how to leave the entire share.  I posted a screenshot which illustrates that I don't have that option.  Can you clarify how I would leave that entire share, based on the screenshot?

Thanks again!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

You appear to be the owner of the share. You can't leave a share that you're the owner of without first assigning ownership to someone else. Click the "Can Edit" or "Can View" next to someone else's name and select "Make Owner." You'll then have the option next to your name to leave the share.

Dermot D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Here you go. Should work. I just did it myself and I didn't own the folder. It worked perfectly.

1. Hit Sharing button

2. You will get a list of folders that are shared with you. Click on the share box beside the one you want to get rid of.

3.  You can't manage the folder but you will notice a box that states that you can edit this folder. Click on 'Can edit'.

4.  Now you will notice 'Remove my access' in red. Click on it.

5.  You will be asked if you want to keep a copy of the folder. I declined and the folder was deleted from dropbox.

Hope this helps.

Dermot

claire m.16
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Dermot, your reply is very clear so I'm asking my own question... hope you or others on the thread can help. I may have some of the terminology wrong since I use DB in French. 

I am trying to leave shared folders which I do not own.

I have repeated tried the procedure that starts by clicking on Share in the left hand menu.

However, this always creates a display of folders that I have ALREADY LEFT IN THE PAST, and could "rejoin" now.

The left-hand menu Share never delivers me to my current folders, and so I never get the "leave" option for my current folders.

[I did test out "delete" among the options within a shared folder - and of course deleted the files for the whole community. (I saw it was happening so I annuled the action and restored them.)]

Thanks for any help you can give. Claire

tcinphilly
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If you click on the SHARE button, you'll see your name in the list. Click on "can edit" or "can view" -- whatever permissions you have. When you do this, you'll see an option at the bottom in red that says "Remove my access".

msamyel
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Not what OP was looking for but it helped me leave a shared folder. Thank you!!
Need more support?