cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to autosave an excel file to Dropbox every 10 min

How to autosave an excel file to Dropbox every 10 min

slstewart249
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just spent two hours on an excel file only to have excel crash before i saved it and lost my work.  I am using MS Excel 97-2004 on a MacBook Pro and right now have to manually save all work.   How can I set up MS Excel/Word/PPT to auto save every 10 minutes to my Business's Dropbox account?   I want to be able to work without having to manually save my file every few minutes.

Thanks.

22 Replies 22

James E. C.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

One caveat: carefully check the preferences in your application.  I don't know why, but my version of Word for Mac v. 16.37 will autosave ONLY to something called "Onedrive,"  I haven't had the problem before, but after a couple of hours of work earlier today, Word threw away my edited file.  I tried to find prior versions in Dropbox to fall back to.  No luck.  Only the file I saved prior to the edits was there.  It doesn't appear that Word will easily set "auto-save" and "recover" files to Dropbox.  I am going to have to find a work-around before I invest too much more time editing.  I switched to Mac in order to have as little as possible to do with Microsoft.  Looks like the Borg is going to assimilate me after all.

James E. C.
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I think your hypothesis is correct.  Microsoft Word will also not autosave anywhere except to Onedrive or Sharepoint.  

"We are the Borg. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

Worfed
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey

A bit after the event, but MS appears to have removed the "File, Save, Options" functions from the menu now and no comparable Option in "Preferences" on the Macbook - anyone know where this function has been moved to to permit Customising where MS Files can be saved to know other than in OneDrive (which sucks for long file names)?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Worfed Helpful | Level 6
    James E. C. Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
    j2scott50 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?