cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change Dropbox folder location without moving contents after errors (Windows 10)

How to change Dropbox folder location without moving contents after errors (Windows 10)

Jack_CAN
Explorer | Level 3

Hi all. 

I've seen similar issues discussed here, but nothing that solves my problem.  I recently installed two 1TB SSDs in my desktop.  My intention is to reserve the C: drive for Windows only, and have all data be on the 😧 drive, including my Dropbox folder, and Documents, etc. under it.  I've followed the documented steps to Move Dropbox from %USER%/Dropbox to D:/Dropbox several times now.  Each time takes hours to complete, and each time has ended with errors that leave me with two copies of all my files and folders (one on each drive), but with the live Dropbox folder being still the one on the C drive.  I've fixed earlier errors (old hidden shortcuts to 'My Documents', 'My Music', etc., left over from XP days I guess), but the last time I just got a generic 'an unknown error occurred' message.

As far as I can tell after looking carefully, all my files and folders were successfully copied to the Dropbox folder on my D drive.  All that remains is to force Dropbox to use this folder, and not the one on my C drive, which is dangerously full.  I would really appreciate any help!  Thanks.

7 Replies 7

Re: How to change Dropbox folder location without moving contents after errors (Windows 10)

Walter
Dropboxer
Hello @Jack_CAN; thanks for posting on our Community!

Can you please confirm that you're using these steps to move your Dropbox folder?

If you do and still get an error, I'd appreciate a screenshot so that I can have a better look into this. 

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: How to change Dropbox folder location without moving contents after errors (Windows 10)

Jack_CAN
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter. Thanks for reaching out.

Yes, I have been following the instructions under the heading "How to move your Dropbox folder" on the page you linked.   The first time I did it, after copying files and folders for a very long time, it failed with a message: "Couldn't move junction point: C:\Users\Jack\Dropbox\Documents\My Music".  Since I could not find 'My Music' (it was a hidden system shortcut), I deleted the Dropbox folder that had been created on my 😧 drive by the copy (and all its contents), and ran the Move again.  I got the same result.  This time, I viewed hidden and system files and folders in Dropbox on my C: drive, found the old dead shortcuts to My Music, My Documents, etc. and deleted them.   Then I ran the Move again.

This is Move attempt number three, and it ran, as I said, for hours, but ended with a very generic message like "unexpected errors occurred".  I did not take a screen shot.  If I need to add a screenshot here, I will again delete hours worth of copied files, run the Move again overnight, and take a screenshot of the error message tomorrow.

My intention in opening this conversation is to avoid doing all that, if there is a way to just tell Dropbox " Sync to D://Dropbox now, not the one on C: drive.  Spot checking has not found any files or folders missing from the Dropbox folder on 😧 drive, so far.  Meaning it copied (almost?) everything over, but then failed after doing all the copying.  Correction:  hidden file .dropbox exists in the active C: copy of the Dropbox folder, but does not exist on the new, inactive 😧 Dropbox folder.

Does it write a log somewhere, that might show what caused the error?

Walter
Dropboxer
It sounds like you enabled the computer backup feature on this device; is this correct @Jack_CAN?

If that's the case, could you disable it by following these steps and try to move your Dropbox folder again?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jack_CAN
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks Walter, but I do not have the computer backup feature turned on.  The button next to that option in Preferences/Backup tab is still set to "Set up".

Walter
Dropboxer
Thanks for clearing this up for me @Jack_CAN.

Would it be OK if I reached out via email to have a further look into this internally? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Jack_CAN
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, absolutely.  Do you have access to my address, or do I need to put it here?

Walter
Dropboxer
No need for that @Jack_CAN.

I just sent you a brief message to the email address that's linked to your Community's profile. 

At your convenience, please take a look at your inbox and we'll take it from there.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?