cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to collaborate with a folder on 2 desktops iOS

How to collaborate with a folder on 2 desktops iOS

Explorer | Level 3

Hi guys, i'm trying to create a 'shared' folder on another desktop 200 miles away, so I can drag and drop in to the folder on my desktop and it 'automatically' sync's with the said folder.

I created a folder on my dropbox but it removed the files once i'd uploaded into it, I'm wanting to keep the files on my Mac as a master version and have  a copy of this data sync with the folder at my mates place.

All help and advice will be warmly received, thanks!

3 Replies 3

Re: How to collaborate with a folder on 2 desktops iOS

Dropboxer

Hey there @stuber, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Can you just clarify for me, when you mentioned that the files were removed, are you referring to the files being removed from the folder they were added to?

If you're dragging/dropping the files from one location on your computer to the folder in Dropbox, it would be expected that the files are moved there rather than a copy made.

This is due to the Dropbox folder being like any other folder on your computer, only that it syncs any changes with your account online too.

Does this sound like what may have happened?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Daphne,

Many thanks for your reply, sorry i'll clarify, the files disappeared from my folder, so it was as though i'd moved them not duplicated them, i'd had in my mind the thought of duplicating them so I would keep a master copy and then update it by dragging the said altered files to the dropbox folder . . . maybe i'm over thinking this and I should indeed be using the dropbox as the master and should have more faith lol . . .

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @stuber!

Everyone has a different workflow, and preferences, that they're used to, so not to worry at all.

If you prefer to stick with the two copies, perhaps instead you can use a slightly different method to copy over the files into Dropbox.

For example, using the right click "copy/paste" options, or the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V.

I can suggest trying that to check it will work for you, and I'd be happy to help out further with anything else you need!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?