Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to create a Dropbox shared link to image, video etc on my Windows 10 computer?

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I used to be able to save an object (video; image etc) in the windows (7) explorer to my outlook folder under C:// user/dropbox  and by right-clicking on the object create a dropbox link that I could use to share the object with friends.

After upgrading to windows 10 this does not seem to work any more. Right-clicking on the object in the windows (10) explorer does not offer the option "create dropbox link." Instead, I have to open the dropbox app, upload the object and then do a right-click on the object to "copy link address". I can then paste the link to email, whatsapp etc to share. 

Is there a way to set the windows (10) explorer so I can go back to what I used to do and thereby not having to log into dropbox to create a dropbox link?

Thanks,
jbsod

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: how to create dropbox link to image, video etc

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @jbsod - welcome to our Community and happy Friday!

From what I gather, you're trying to create a shared link for the files that are within your Dropbox Folder on your computer - correct? 

Can you confirm that you're running the desktop app when you're right clicking on your Dropbox files? If so, is it 'up to date' or 'syncing'? Do you see any syncing icons on your files?

What exact options are you getting when you right click on your files? Can you send me a screenshot so I can get a visual?

Thanks!

PS: If you can't see the Dropbox icon within your system tray/menu bar, please try re-installing the app. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7
Highlighted

Super User II
Super User II

Is the Dropbox application installed and running (icon visible in the system tray) when you try to create the link? If it's not running, the option to Copy Dropbox Link will not be shown in the right-click context menu.

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @jbsod - welcome to our Community and happy Friday!

From what I gather, you're trying to create a shared link for the files that are within your Dropbox Folder on your computer - correct? 

Can you confirm that you're running the desktop app when you're right clicking on your Dropbox files? If so, is it 'up to date' or 'syncing'? Do you see any syncing icons on your files?

What exact options are you getting when you right click on your files? Can you send me a screenshot so I can get a visual?

Thanks!

PS: If you can't see the Dropbox icon within your system tray/menu bar, please try re-installing the app. 

Walter

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

<< From what I gather, you're trying to create a shared link for the files that are within your Dropbox Folder on your computer - correct? >> 

Correct.

<<Can you confirm that you're running the desktop app when you're right clicking on your Dropbox files?>>

Yes. My file inventory on desktop is up-to-date.

This is what I get when I right-click on the file for which I would like to create a dropbox link right from windows explorer. "Create a dropbox link" is not being offered as an option, but it used to be offered when I was still working with windows 7. The dropbox app is active (see the icon on the bottom of the page). 

screenshot outlook folder under c_drive.png

Sorry for the German-language menu. 
After trial and error I found a way to create the dropbox link from the dropbox app, but the point of my query here is whether I can do what I used to do and that is to create the link directly from the windows explorer without having to go to the app. It is unfortunate that the dropbox app does not offer a visible option to create a link. It was more or less accidentally that I found out that I have to right-click on the object I want to share in order to be given the option to copy the link to the object. 

Doing it directly from the windows explorer folder used to be much more efficient and faster.

Thanks
jbsod

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for clarifying this and providing a screenshot too @jbsod!

Based on your screenshot, it looks like the desktop app isn't running or syncing as I can't see any syncing overlay icons on your files.

Can you double check and let me know what you see in your computer's system tray?

On a side note, the new desktop app doesn’t change your Dropbox folder in Finder/File Explorer. You can keep using it exactly as you did before. You can also choose for your folders to open in the Dropbox folder instead of the desktop app.

Keep me posted please! 

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Walter,

You had the right idea. I uninstalled and re-installed the dropbox app and it did what it hadn't done before and that was syncing the objects to the dropbox folder in my C-drive.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated. 

jbsod

screenshot dropbox folder under c_drive.png 

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop @jbsod; I'm glad to hear it's sorted now.

Have a lovely weekend and see you around our Community! 

Walter

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Likewise -- and thanks for your patience and sharing your expertise.
I learned a number of new English terms I wasn't familiar with before. 

jbsod
Bad Soden (near Frankfurt, Germany)

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?