cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete folders on Dropbox without deleting on my hard drive

Highlighted

How to delete folders on Dropbox without deleting on my hard drive

New member | Level 2

Hello eveyone,

I am new to Dropbox since 2 days and apologize if this question may have been asked before, but I have to use it for work urgently.

I started off with no problems at all other than being reminded of 12 more days of free trial. My boss told me to use the free basic version. After a live chat with Dropbox, the account was amended to the free basic version, but since then EVERYTHING has gone wrong, starting with the fact, that there is no space left.

I have gone through "selective sync" and only ticked the work folders. The folder (which is my desktop) I have unticked, because that are personal folders irrelevant to work. But how do I get that irrelevant folder OFF DROPBOX without it interrupting anything on my desktop??? Because of that folder, I have run out of space and can no longer receive documents from work, hence there is no syncing possible at all now?!?!?!

Thank you in advance!!!

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How to delete folders on Dropbox without deleting on my hard drive

Dropboxer

Hi @Lovely Lotus, thanks for joining the Community!

I can see that you're concerned about losing files. Do you know if you enabled the automatic computer backup feature? Could you first try disabling the computer backup from Dropbox using the steps in the above article to see if this helps?

Afterwards, you can move the folders and files back to their previous locations, which will also delete them from the Dropbox account online, but keep the files on your computer.

If you need any further assistance, please let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?