cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to delete green checkmark from files moved out of Dropbox

How to delete green checkmark from files moved out of Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

I understand that files within my Dropbox folder have a green checkmark indicating they've been synced.  When I move a file from Dropbox (NOT copy) the checkmark goes with them and I'd like to remove the checkmark.  I've wasted a huge amount of time searching the internet and dropbox.com trying to find out how to get rid of the checkmark from files moved out of Dropbox and can't find anything relevant.  An example is when I scan documents from my scanner to my Dropbox account and then I move the new file out of Dropbox and into a 'normal' folder on my MacBook.  There must be a way to get rid of the green checkmark, but I can't figure out how.  I'm running Dropbox v112.4.321 on MacOs 10.15.7 (Catalina), but the same behavior occurred in Mojave.

6 Replies 6

Super Collaborator | Level 20

Hi @mareich49,

:thinking face: Hm... What you mean 'normal' for the folder? 🧐 What shows the Info in Finder for the mentioned scan file? More precisely path to the file. Don't assume anything, just check! Is there a Dropbox folder in this path, by the way? :winking face:

Hope this gives right direction.

Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the response.  By 'normal' I mean a folder in the MacOs filesystem which is not in the Dropbox path.  For example, a 'normal' folder path would be /Users/mareich49/Documents  while the Dropbox path is /Users/mareich49/Dropbox.  If I MOVE a file from the Dropbox path to the Documents path, the green checkmark shows in Finder on the file after the move.  Does this help explain the situation?

Super Collaborator | Level 20

... What shows the Info in Finder for the mentioned scan file? More precisely path to the file. Don't assume anything, just check!...

@mareich49 wrote:

... If I MOVE a file from the Dropbox path to the Documents path, the green checkmark shows in Finder on the file after the move.  Does this help explain the situation?

Hi again @mareich49,

No, you didn't check it actually. Just opposite, you're assuming what's there based on Finder view itself! 🤷

Ok, another alternative. Open the particular file in web browser from Finder context menu. There you can see where exactly this file reside in your account.

Hope this would be easier.

Explorer | Level 3

OK, I guess I'm not understanding your point.  If you're asking if the relocated file is actually relocated, yes it is.  It is no longer inside the Dropbox container.  It resides now in a sub-folder of my Documents folder as I mentioned previously.  Opening the file in a browser confirms this by the URL of the file, just as Finder did. 

In addition, I have to also note that suddenly the green checkmark is gone.  I don't know why or how, but perhaps it had to do with rebooting my computer 4 hours ago?  I know in the past, upon moving a file out of Dropbox the green checkmark stuck with the relocated file, but I never paid attention enough to note if it subsequently disappeared.  I don't know why Dropbox makes this all so opaque.  This question is all over the internet, people asking how to get rid of the checkmark, and Dropbox seems to just ignore the direct question.  I guess it's moot in my case at this point, but I'm sure it will come up again.

Thanks for trying to help.

Dropboxer

I'm sorry to jump in here, but did you happen to enable the computer backup feature at some point @mareich49?

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 3

No, I've never used the computer backup feature of Dropbox.  When I look at the Preferences panel for backup, it just displays a "Set Up" button, indicating (I think) it's never been set up.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?