cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete my PC showing on my folder tree

How to delete my PC showing on my folder tree

Explorer | Level 4

When I installed the Dropbox app on my new PC (Win 10) I mistakenly chose to have documents and downloads from new PC to load to Dropbox.  After uninstalling the app from my new PC  I  corrected that by changing documents and downloads back to their default locations.  However, my PC is still listed in my folders tree and there doesn't seem to be any way to delete it.  Does anyone know how I can do this?  Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Re: How to delete my PC showing on my folder tree

Dropboxer

Hi @McHugh62; welcome to the Community!

As it sounds like you're having some issues after using our computer backup feature, I'd suggest taking a look at our dedicated Help Center article as you'll find more information on how to set it up or disable it there.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions; I'll be just a post away! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

I still have the Dropbox app installed on my Win 7 PC but following your steps step 5 "Manage Backups" does not appear using that PC.  I assume that means that I would have to re-install the app on my Win 10 PC.  Is that correct.

I want to delete the My PC in the folders tree as I changed the location of the two files in My PC back to default so I assume that means they are no longer being backed up to Dropbox.  

I don't understand why deleting the files in the My PC backup in Dropbox would affect those files installed on my Win 10 PC.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to us here @McHugh62.

You shouldn't need to reinstall the app, once the backup feature is disabled then you can remove the files from Dropbox and keep them only locally on your computer.

Can you clarify for me, if you go to the "Backup" tab is the first section there showing "Set up" instead of a "Manage" button?

If you're not seeing "Manage", please send me a screenshot of what you do see. Also, please try moving some files from the backup folder in Dropbox to another location on your computer.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Explorer | Level 4

Daphne, I still have the Dropbox app installed on my old PC running Windows 7.  I uninstalled the app from my new Win 10 pc.  Documents and downloads on my new pc are no longer being backed up to Dropbox because I set those two back to default.  However, when I log on to the Dropbox website I still see my Win 10 pc listed along with the folders I have set up for Dropbox.  If I click on the box to the left of the Win 10 pc there is no option to delete it like I can for folders.  That is the issue I am trying to resolve.  Thank you.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me here @McHugh62!

When you uninstalled the app from the Windows 10 PC, did you also unlink your account from that device?

If not, please unlink the Windows 10 computer from your account settings page here. This will fully disable the backup, since it seems it wasn't disabled when uninstalling. The backup folder should then be like any other folder in your Dropbox account.

If you've already moved the files from the "My PC" backup folder on your Windows 10 PC back to the original locations on that device, please go ahead and try deleting the "My PC" backup folder from your account online.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?