cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We're back with another cheat sheet to make your 2022 easier than ever! Check out our tips here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to disable the dowload for a shared folder/file with View-Only permission?

How to disable the dowload for a shared folder/file with View-Only permission?

ydeniro
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I shared a folder/file in my Dropbox Business account by inviting someone from outside via his email and set the permission for this shared folder/file to be View-Only for him.  However, View-Only permission still allows the person to download the shared folder/file.  Is there way in Dropbox I can disable the download for such a shared folder/file? 

Actually Google Drive has such an option to choose to disable the download for a shared folder/file.

Thanks

Yang

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to disable the dowload for a shared folder/file with View-Only permission?

Rich
Super User II

If you shared the file or folder with a share link, you can set permissions on it.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Re: How to disable the dowload for a shared folder/file with View-Only permission?

Rich
Super User II

If you shared the file or folder with a share link, you can set permissions on it.

View solution in original post

ydeniro
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks for the reply! 

Yes, I know the Share Link can do this.  However, I cannot control how the person who has the Share Link send the link to others who I don't know at all.  

In the Shared Folder way, I can set permission not to allow the one I invited to invite another person to the shared folder/file.  

I guess both the shared folder and share link have pros and cons.  

Could Dropbox get the "Disable Downlaod" option to the Shared Folder just like the one to the Share Link?  

If so, this would be quite useful and perfect then. 

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi @ydeniro; thanks for joining the Dropbox Community!

I just dropped by to let you know that if you have an idea or suggestion you'd like to share with the rest of the Community, you can post it in the relevant area. Here's a direct link for your reference: 

See you around!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropboxer
    ydeniro Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?