cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download Dropbox audio files to iPad/iPhone for use in Apple Music playlist?

How to download Dropbox audio files to iPad/iPhone for use in Apple Music playlist?

steve t.5
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I need to assemble playlists using audio files I uploaded to my Dropbox. How can I download my Dropbox files to my iPhone for assemblage into playlists?  I need to do this ASAP. Thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @steve t.5 - happy Monday!

The best way to do achieve the task at hand, would be to export those files to the 3rd party app you'll be using for your playlist directly (if it's supported that is). 

To export those files:

• Open the file you’d like to export in the Dropbox app
  • Tap the ellipsis (..) on the top-right and select “Export”. You will now see two rows of apps.
  • In the lower row, tap “Open In…” - this will show you a list of apps to export this file to. If you don’t see any apps indicated, you will need to download an app that supports this filetype.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @steve t.5 - happy Monday!

The best way to do achieve the task at hand, would be to export those files to the 3rd party app you'll be using for your playlist directly (if it's supported that is). 

To export those files:

• Open the file you’d like to export in the Dropbox app
  • Tap the ellipsis (..) on the top-right and select “Export”. You will now see two rows of apps.
  • In the lower row, tap “Open In…” - this will show you a list of apps to export this file to. If you don’t see any apps indicated, you will need to download an app that supports this filetype.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

steve t.5
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I just tried your suggestion(pardon my ignorance; I'm not adept at Mac Music yet). I hit the ellipsis on a given file; I hit "export" which opened two rows of apps as you said. BELOW those 2 rows is the "open in" tab. But when I hit that tab the file exported somewhere(I have no idea where it went). In other words it didn't ask me which app to pick.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for keeping me in the loop here Steve. 

Have you given this a second chance to try to export your files to the app you wanted? 

Did you have any luck so far?

Let me know when you get the chance and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

steve t.5
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I figured out how to download the files and assemble them into an Apple Music playlist. The files in question are audio recordings I made several years ago. As such they weren't recognized by the Music app until I opened each one, so loading the list was a bit time consuming. 

Once the list was assembled, I noticed the playback happened at random. In other words, if I played the first item in the list, after it ended the next item played was NOT the second item...but another item from somewhere else on the list. I want lists to play in order without me having to individually hit each one to start it. Is this an Apple flaw or did I do something wrong in assembling the list? Thanks again for your attention and help.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

As this feature is not offered by us, I'd suggest that you checked with them as well Steve. 

From the sounds of it though, it looks like your playlists aren't set to play by the order of your tracks but randomly. You might want check with Apple directly for guidance on how you'd need to set this up to achieve the desired result. 

Let me know what you find! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    steve t.5 Collaborator | Level 9
What do Dropbox user levels mean?