cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about how Alex on the Community team used Dropbox in college here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download and save a video from dropbox

How to download and save a video from dropbox

JHL1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi. Im trying to download a video from my dropbox so it can be uploaded onto a website. Currently the link on the website links to dropbox where you can watch the video, however, it only plays the first 15 min of the video unless you log into your own individual dropbox and download the video. This is a tad bit inconvenient, so I was wondering if anyone knows how to downloade the video onto my desktop? I haven't been successful thus far, as I can only download the video but not save it. Do I need a special program?

3 Replies 3

Re: How to download and save a video from dropbox

Hannah
Dropboxer

Hi @JHL1 , thanks for your post!

When viewing a video from a shared link, you can indeed only watch the first 15 minutes, depending on your current plan. 

The shared link should allow the recipient to download the video to their computer and thus view the whole thing with a locally installed media player, even if they don't have a Dropbox account.

If you have any questions about how that works, let me know!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Re: How to download and save a video from dropbox

JHL1
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah, 

Thank you so much for getting back to me. The problem is that my colleagues does not want the viewer to have to download the video before viewing it, they want it to be possible to stream on the spot. We do not have the original video, only a version saved on dropbox. Do you know if it's possible to download the video to my own desktop from dropbox? 

Hi @JHL1, as mentioned by my colleague, depending on your...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @JHL1, as mentioned by my colleague, depending on your plan, there is a limit on how much of a video can be previewed on the site.

Streaming is possible on the site, but only for 15 minutes if it's on a free plan.

You should be able to download the video to your computer by clicking the download button in the shared link at the top.

Alternatively, you could change the ending of the shared link from dl=0 to dl=1 to automatically download the video.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?