cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Emma uses to-do lists to get it all done here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get Apple ProRAW images to transfer from iPhone

How to get Apple ProRAW images to transfer from iPhone

nightfly
New member | Level 2

I just upgraded to an iPhone 12 Pro, and have been looking forward to using the new ProRAW format.  However, when I upload a photo to DB using the app on the iPhone, it transfers it over as a .JPG.  Does anyone know the way to get it to transfer as a native ProRAW, which I believe is a variant on a DNG file?  I notice there was a previous thread on the subject, marked "SOLVED," however, the solution of just renaming the extension of the transferred file, doesn't really work -- the file remains in JPG format (the file size shows it is highly compressed), and all it means is that the Windows apps ignore the extension, see that the file is in .JPG format, and load it as such.  Isn't there a way to simply get the file to DB in its original format?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nightfly
New member | Level 2

I finally figured out how to do it. 

You can't from within the Dropbox iOS app -- you're only allowed to "upload photos," and those can only be in the .JPG or .hiec formats, which are both compressed.  There's no option to just "upload files" from your iPhone -- that's only for files already stored in Dropbox.

The trick is that, instead of using the Dropbox app, you have to go to your camera roll, select the photo you want to upload, click on the "share" icon at the bottom left of the screen, and choose "Save to Dropbox" from the resulting menu.  Unlike the Dropbox app, the camera roll will upload the original .DNG file instead of a .JPG reduction.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Sanchez
Dropboxer
Hey, @nightfly, welcome to our community. 

To be honest, I don’t know much about this new ProRAW format, or how it interacts with other editing and sharing apps. After a bit of research, I see that the file will get automatically converted to .JPG when shared, and possibly after being edited. 

How exactly are you uploading these ProRAW files to your Dropbox account? Can you tell me your steps? 

Have you tried manually uploading them, by tapping the "+" (plus sign) at the bottom of your screen, and then choosing to “Upload Files”?

Get back to me when you can. 
Thanks!

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

nightfly
New member | Level 2

I finally figured out how to do it. 

You can't from within the Dropbox iOS app -- you're only allowed to "upload photos," and those can only be in the .JPG or .hiec formats, which are both compressed.  There's no option to just "upload files" from your iPhone -- that's only for files already stored in Dropbox.

The trick is that, instead of using the Dropbox app, you have to go to your camera roll, select the photo you want to upload, click on the "share" icon at the bottom left of the screen, and choose "Save to Dropbox" from the resulting menu.  Unlike the Dropbox app, the camera roll will upload the original .DNG file instead of a .JPG reduction.

View solution in original post

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?