cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of Open With button in the mobile app

How to get rid of Open With button in the mobile app

Helpful | Level 6

How to get rid of Open Button in dropbox ios

hi, i noticed that since a few app upgrade, each time i go through a file in Dropbox app, i get a large blue Open With button right down the middle of the screen. This is seriously annoying. I dont want to open the file in another app, imjust want to look at its content.

is there a way to get rid of this seriously annoying button?

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to get rid of Open With button

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Daphne

the open with button does disapear in full screen view once we tap the screen. I did not know that. This does solve my issue, although it would be nice to have the possibilité to disable that very large button right in the middle of the screen (or this button could be made much smaller and placed on the side)

Thanks for tsking note of this and perhaps add this feature in a next update.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Dropboxer

Hey @Goldbug, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Is it safe to assume that you're using a tablet when you see this "Open with" button?

You should be able to tap the screen where you see the preview, and this should hide the options shown over the preview. Does that do the trick?

Please feel free to send me a screenshot too.

Let me know if this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Daphne

yes i am using an ipad pro.

Every file type i try like pdf, excel document, etc has this blue open with button in the bottom of the screen right in the middle. Cant get rid of it. I undestand why it is there to allow me top open the file in another app, but i dont want to, i just want to glance at the file content without editing it or open it in another app.

taping over the preview hides the left column menu and puts the fill fipull screen, but the open with button remains there.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me @Goldbug!

At the moment, there isn't an option to disable this so that the "Open with" button doesn't appear.

However, I can suggest when you have the full screen preview open to them try tapping the screen again to try temporarily hide the button.

I've made a note of your feedback on this, and how you'd like to disable the button on the preview screen.

Let me know if the suggestion above helps at all, or if you have any other questions.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks Daphne

the open with button does disapear in full screen view once we tap the screen. I did not know that. This does solve my issue, although it would be nice to have the possibilité to disable that very large button right in the middle of the screen (or this button could be made much smaller and placed on the side)

Thanks for tsking note of this and perhaps add this feature in a next update.

View solution in original post

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that hides the button temporarily for you @Goldbug!

If you'd like to, you can even share your suggestions in our dedicated area of the forum here.

I'm just a message away if you need anything else, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here.

Have a great weekend ahead!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

That solution does not work for me.
I am using a recent, last year's, iPad Pro 11 with the Dropbox app. No Amount of tapping on the screen or making it fullscreen removes the intrusive blue Open sign.

I thought it had first appeared when I set up Office 365. I have since removed Office 365 because it's hopeless — the MS Word app cannot open password-protected Word documents from Dropbox and it will not execute macros so it's useless for me. So ... I have removed Office 365 from my iPad but the blue Open sign is still there. 

Dropboxer

Hi there @Austin A.5, thanks for joining us here!

The "Open" button should be irrelevant to whether or not you have the appropriate app installed to edit the file on your device.

Having said that, would you mind sending along a screenshot (excluding any personal info) of the button when you're previewing the file in full screen?

Also, can you let me know which version of the mobile app you have installed and your current OS version?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Explorer | Level 4

IMG_0151.png

IMG_0152.png

Thanks daphne, much appreciated 

These screenshots are from my iPad Pro 11" — iOS 13.4.  I don't know how to find the Dropbox app version number but it's the latest — the App Store says it was updated "yesterday". As before, no amount of tapping on the screen will get rid of the blue button. 
BTW to try to fix it yesterday I went to my laptop (latest always-updated Windows 10) where, in the Dropbox website, I went to settings/open with and chose the setting to always open in Dropbox. Now, when I click on the blue Open button, it simply leads me to a full screen advising me to install Microsoft Excel for iOS — no other options. 

New member | Level 2

Hi

Thanks for the tip to get rid of the "open" button, even if it is just part of the time as it is very annoying.

I would like to add my vote for getting rid of it, I don't believe there is a need for it over the document, it just gets in the way. I would prefer it in the "..." menu at the top.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?