How to make DB honor "Make new files" local

Randy C.12
Explorer | Level 3
  • Windows 10
  • Dropbox personal account
  • Current settings:
    • "Save hard drive space automatically": off
    • "Make new files": local

Dropbox is not honoring those settings. New files (according to my understanding of what "new files" means) are always online only; when I use the "Selective Sync" button to choose files to syn that were not previously synced, I receive a message that they will be online only. Do these not count as "new files"? If not, where is the setting to make newly synced files local? It is simply absurd that I have turned off every possible Smart Sync option, but it is still applying to my files.

Use case illustrating why this matters: I have a folder with over 100 files that I would like to copy to another location (a Zotero library). Draggning and dropping them only copies the files that have been downloaded. I have to manually open every file for it to download. Then when I drag and drop them again, I get duplicates.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to make DB honor "Make new files" local

Super User II
Super User II

Files syncing from other locations (other computers, shared folders, files uploaded to the website, etc.) would be considered new files.

Folders that you're syncing back to the computer by checking them within Selective Sync will always be added back to the computer as Online-only. You can simply right-click the folder once it's back on the computer and set it to Local, and Dropbox will sync the full content.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: How to make DB honor "Make new files" local

Super User II
Super User II

Files syncing from other locations (other computers, shared folders, files uploaded to the website, etc.) would be considered new files.

Folders that you're syncing back to the computer by checking them within Selective Sync will always be added back to the computer as Online-only. You can simply right-click the folder once it's back on the computer and set it to Local, and Dropbox will sync the full content.

View solution in original post

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?