cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make all files on iPad to be ONLINE only

How to make all files on iPad to be ONLINE only

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

My iPad Settings > General > iPad Storage says I have 11GB of local storage used by Dropbox.

How can I make ALL my Dropbox data be ONLINE only to free up space.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Thanks Lusil,

My Offline tab does not show any files, only a big icon with Caption "Get to your files offline" and a 'Show me how' link.

Yet Settings > General > iPad Storage says 11.18GB, of which 10.91GB are Documents and Data. Rest is the app itself.

My iPhone, signed into same account, also with no offline shows 180.2MB Documents and Data.

I have deleted Dropbox on the iPad and reinstalled. All seems to be well now. Space recovered.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Michael B.10, thanks for nudging us again on the Dropbox Community!

Unlike the desktop app, the mobile app does not automatically store files locally on your device, and so the contents won't take up space on your mobile device unless you choose to offline them.

Could you check if you have any offline files saved by going through your mobile app's Offline files screen?

Have a look and let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Thanks Lusil,

My Offline tab does not show any files, only a big icon with Caption "Get to your files offline" and a 'Show me how' link.

Yet Settings > General > iPad Storage says 11.18GB, of which 10.91GB are Documents and Data. Rest is the app itself.

My iPhone, signed into same account, also with no offline shows 180.2MB Documents and Data.

I have deleted Dropbox on the iPad and reinstalled. All seems to be well now. Space recovered.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Could you clear the mobile app's cache before you uninstall completely? Maybe that will do the trick.

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Thanks.

As I said, I have already uninstalled/reinstalled and it has solved the problem, so deleting the cache is not an option now.

From researching 'deleting the cache' it seems there isn't a specific setting in Dropbox settings to do this, but using the "Offload App" option in Settings > General > iPad Storage > Dropbox > Offload app would have the same effect. 

https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/clear-cache-iphone-ipad/

Deleting and reinstalling was very painless and quick, so don't see an advantage for a cache clear option.

Anyway all good for now. Thanks.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear that, @Michael B.10!

If anything else comes up, just give us another shout and we'll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a lovely day ahead of you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

dcbell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This worked for me ! Thanks 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dcbell New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Michael B.10 Experienced | Level 13
What do Dropbox user levels mean?