Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: selective sync conflict suddenly appeared on all root folders BUG

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey peeps, I'm glad to hear that you're happy about the news!

I'd be more than happy to make a note of your feedback on some potential improvements for this feature so keep them coming! 

While this is still in beta your feedback will indeed be important to us, so anything that you'd like to add or even report to us on this will always be appreciated.

You can either let me know here or also contact us through our Support channel and let me know your ticket numbers (eg. #1234567).

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
 Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

How to stop selective sync changing the not-sync folders' name?

Romulus New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

The selective sync feature worked good for me, but it changed its bahavior and becomes very bad.

The scenario is, I have a synced node.js project, and I don't want to sync node_moudules folder to waste my Dropbox space and network traffic. So I just don't sync the node_modules folder, everything was fine.

But after the change, Dropbox on Windows will change the folder name of node_modules to like node_modules (...conflict)!! Thus node.js can't read libraries correctly, and my projects can't run in a Dropbox folder anymore.

Can you please revert the behavior of selective sync to the past?

Re: How to stop selective sync changing the not-sync folders' name?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for reaching out to us here @Romulus!

I've merged your post here as you seem to be describing the same issue that others have here. 

Can you take a look at my previous post here where I've explained a little about a new feature we're working on, which I believe might help you resolve this issue.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne

Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

JWW87
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks @Daphne for this! Nice to have a way to ignore files. However I think I have found a bug, at least on Windows. On files it works great, but when I try to ignore an entire folder I get this error message:

Set-Content : Could not open the alternate data stream 'com.dropbox.ignored' of the file '(...)\node_modules\'.
At line:1 char:1
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: ( [Set-Content], FileNotFoundException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.IO.FileNotFoundException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetContentCommand

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Highlighted

emerrill
Helpful | Level 6

It's an escaping thing with quotes and spaces and slashes. I think I had to change to double quotes and fiddle with slashes.

Note that this part has nothing to do with DB, so it cant be a bug in DB.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hey @JWW87, I'd be more than happy to look into this with you!

Would you mind if I reached out to the email linked with your Community profile? This way we can discuss some account/device specific info.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne

dkobia
Helpful | Level 5

@Daphne - the only downside to depending on extended attributes is that they're erased when the folder is deleted. In our case we'd like to ignore build files, but they get cleaned and rebuilt every time, which means the extended attributes need to be re-applied again.

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Thanks for sharing this with me here @dkobia!

I've made note of your feedback for this, it's much appreciated while this is still being worked on.

Let me know if there's anything else that I can help with in the meantime.

Cheers!

Daphne

Re: Selective Sync Changed?

dtsamitros New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Unfortunately the only solution I found after a lot of searching was to switch to Sync (sync.com) .. They offer a similar to dropbox solution but their selective sync works like dropbox used to. The only minor draw back is that sometimes for no apparent reasons I get conflicting files which are usually up for deletion (with dropbox I very rarely had conflictiong files)

Re: Selective Sync Changed?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Hey @dtsamitros, thanks for pinging us on the Community! 

I’ve moved your post under this discussion, so you can have a look at the Accepted Solution Daphne had posted on the previous page, as it may be helpful in what you’re experiencing. 

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions for me. Thanks! 

Jane

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
 Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?