cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to manually stop sync of a folder, but still retain local copy?

David L.31
Helpful | Level 5

It would be really helpful to know what version of the client supports the 'ignoring' feature. Here's my experience (on Windows 10):

89.4.278 did not respond to the Set-Content command

90.4.307 did respond—I got the grey 'ignored' icon just as used to happen with Selective Sync before the behaviour changed despite all claims to the contrary.

Setting a folder to be ignored worked without a trailing slash on the folder name.

After 'ignoring' a node_modules folder, I ran yarn. This added 6,213 files, which Dropbox immediately spent several minutes at 100% CPU (single thread at least) 'indexing'. I think the developers need to go read a definition on what 'ignore' means. But at least these files weren't uploaded which would have taken a whole lot longer.

So, it's clunky, difficult to know which folders you've set to ignore, no way to specify a pattern so that _any_ folder called, e.g. 'node_modules' created in the future would be ignored, etc. But at least it's step in the right direction.

Please just tighten up on ignore (really, just ignore it :), and add it to the UI (please add a Dropbox sub-menu to the context menus for things like this—don't make us dig through the awful 'Preferences→Selective Sync' style window).

JWW87
Helpful | Level 5

I also think a .dropboxignore file would be the best solution. Attributes on folders will be deleted when the folder gets recreated. With a .dropboxignore file the ignore settings would persist. Also a .dropboxignore file could easily be synchronised with your other computers, so you only have to set the ignore settings once.

carlos1978
Helpful | Level 5

I dont understand why this is so hard?  The code update to this functionality seems to be stupid simple to implement.  What's the issue of getting something like this working for us?  I will need to invest time in switching to someone else if this is not resolved very shortly.

zeros_and_ones
Explorer | Level 4

Same problem as others, have selectively ignored node_modules and transpiled files for apps as I work across three machines: desktop, laptop, work. Have worked this way for probably 4 years. Selective sync has recently broken and the 'fix' isn't working for me on Windows. Just the push I needed in the end, saw someone mention Mega, does everything I used dropbox for and includes the ability to blanket ignore based on names and regex without having to individually select files to ignore. 

PUZZLED_NEWBY
Explorer | Level 4

Just wondering:  If I get an e-mail that allows me to have access to certain documents from that person, and... 

2) at some point my Dropbox installation gets destroyed via a "weird MSFT win 10 update", so that it no longer works,   and I reinstall Dropbox,  and

3) I try to get the other person to share, by giving the a "shared access" to these folders,

then

4) when that person changes a file, it would sync over to my Dropbox, which in turn would tell my dropbox to sync right back at their dropbox,  such that

this syncing would go on in an endless loop? 

My question is:  Is that possible?  And have Dropbox people thought of a way to prevent that endless loop from happening?

No, I don't mean that as a joke.  It just occured to me that I was about to try and share documents with the same person that previously shared them with me, and this got me thinking.   So does anyone at Dropbox know the answer to this conundrum? 

Re: Selective Sync Changed?

askanioff
Helpful | Level 5

The link you refered "accepted solution" explains how to ignore a file but not a folder. I think I'm leaving dropbox because I'm wasting so much time in this reasonless change of behavior of the program.

I don't understand how is it marked as solved. This is not SOLVED!!

Sanchez
Dropboxer

Hey @askanioff , welcome to our community! 

Although the title of the article only mentions files, the steps cover folders as well. If that’s not working for you, or if you’re referring to something else, please let me know. 

Thanks

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

askanioff
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you!!

For those trying to avoid sync of temporary folders of Adobe Lightroom: Folder names containing spaces shoud be enclosed in quotes: "xxx" as in the path below:

Set-Content -Path C:\Users\YourName\Dropbox\LR.Cat\2019-03-Kyoto\"2019-03-Kyoto Previews.lrdata" -Stream com.dropbox.ignored -Value 1

Ignoring local folders on selective sync (previous behavior)

Razarch
New member | Level 2

First of all, thanks to the Dropbox team for your work!

For years, enabling selective synchronization on folders actually made Dropbox ignore those on the client's side. This behavior has changed since several months, now creating conflicts every time.

As an example, disabling synchronisation of a folder named Foo/ made it disappear from the hard drive as it should. However, adding again a folder named exactly like the ignored one, here Foo/, created another with a little grey minus sign, which wasn't synchronized at all with the server. Deleting it on the server's side didn't change that selective sync behavior. Now, adding the same folder simply deletes it and consider it a conflict.

Working in a programming environment, this feature was absolutely amazing in my case, since it avoided build files (which tend to be modified very frequently) to be synchronized all the time. An even bigger problem is that now, an increasing amount of errors occur due to a file being locked, since it can't be replaced when being synchronized. I sometimes have to retry 5 or 6 times before it finally succeeds.

Was it a bug during all these years? Is there any plan on adding again something similar?

Thanks!

Re: Ignoring local folders on selective sync (previous behavior)

Rich
Super User II

I don't know that I'd call it a bug. More like an unintended feature. Either way, it no longer exists and won't be coming back. Instead, Dropbox now has an ignore feature that you can use to have it ignore a local file or folder.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?