cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to manually stop sync of a folder, but still retain local copy?

Highlighted

Re: Ignoring local folders on selective sync (previous behavior)

New member | Level 2

Thank you very much, this was exactly what I was looking for... That's a lifesaver!

Adding another question then, is there any plan to make it more accessible than executing a command? I personnally don't mind doing so, but that would be better accessibility-wise to select what to ignore, like what's done with the selective sync.

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted

Super User II

I don't know what Dropbox has planned in that regard. Up until very recently, the feature was still considered a beta. I thought it still was until I noticed that the beta message was no longer displayed on the help article.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

Oh, that would explain why there's nothing to do this in the UI indeed, I didn't know this was so recent. I'll wait for it and use commands in the meantime, not that I expect to do it often anyway!

Thanks again for your help!  

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

I have experienced the same issue.  I use PyCharm which is a software development tool.  I keep my PyCharm projects in Dropbox and inside of the project folder is a settings folder named .idea. Each of my computers have settings that are specific to them so I don't want each computer to sync their .idea folder.  Unselecting the .idea folder from selective sync does not work as it prevents the computers from using the .idea folder altogether so the PyCharm can't save it's settings and won't work right.

I am also in the camp thinking this used to work fine where sync could be unselected for the .idea folder and all the computers can share all the other files with the exception of .idea.  It would be best in my opinion if unselecting a folder from sync means the computer just keeps its own copy of files in that folder and everything else is still synced.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

I am a developer, and honestly the node_modules are a problem when you have to do web development. This is a bunch of data that no one wants to backup that just gets created in your project folder. Your project data is what you want, but not these packages. Even Git allows us to exclude these.

To implment a .gitignore equivalent should however be trivial. The community is full of senior developers and architects that would love to do this for free - yes free - just so I don't have to contend with this idiotic behaviour of backing up garbage.

But there is a command line solution now you say? Well my wife is a designer, and I can't tell you the amount of garbage that gets saved to our Drobox account as she can't exclude a bunch of crap either.

Thing is I can't ask her to work with command line, so man up Dropbox dev team. There are plenty of people that are not power users, and simply have no clue. So add a context menu to the folder that creates a .xxxignore file, and the same to remove it - or something stupidly easy.

Please don't make this more difficult than it already is. Your clients have spoken, sometimes it is wise to listen to them. This is a great PR and marketing opperunity to say you cater for developers and other profesionals. Please make it happen.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

I have now spent the whole day with Dropbox running as usual with all node_modules excluded as per the command line option.

It sucks, as a developer I have to say - this really sucks - it still indexes files and syncs all 47,000 package files up to the cloud - to do NOTHING, since it is ignored. But wait - there is more! This means that locks are placed on these package folders, as per the underlying OS or via the Dropbox COM service (one of them). This means that everytime we do an additional dependency install -> it breaks the install. So we do it again, and again, and again untill it has installed all the missing dependency files. 

Now it's easy to say we suck and must be mistaken, so I have literally set up a laptop right next to this one. I pulled the repo from Git and did the exact same install. I even added the packages. No locks. So I guess you have a bit deeper to dig Dropbox dev team, luckily developers can work remotely and it's not like we have somewhere to go during lockdown... just saying.

So here is the gripe, your product makes it impossible for me, and I trust many developers, who will just silently cancel their monthly subscriptions in the end. Now I have been a supporter from the start, but you really need to do something here.

I will go so far as to put forward a value proposition, so that an MBA totting overlord can understand, in friendly terms:
- Fix it or this gripe just spills over to reddit, and we find away around it and it is just more bad press...
- This will ensure you can easily tout a sollution that can backup a whole creative/professional workspace...
- This will ensure that you cut marginal overheads, as you dont have to sync millions of files for/to nothing...
- You can listen to your loyal customers and bake in a solution that will ensure that you have a great PR and Advertising hook.

As mentioned in an older post - all this by just by looking after your professional users, and creators. Call it the "creators update" and all of a sudden you have a complacent professional user base.

Highlighted

Explorer | Level 4

I am resigned to the fact that no one at DropBox is listening.  I am using it only because a client is using it. I would not pay for this.

Since have no control over the DropBox itself, all I can do is create a new folder on my computer and copy everything into it,

because then I can actually "rename a file".   What a concept! 

Yes Dropbox people cannot understand the importance of "renaming a file", because they do not have the imagination required to see

that several different people might send files with "Tax Info 2019" as the title.  Obviously, I will want to add a name to that file, so that it does not get overwritten by a new file by the same name.  Adding that name means "renaming a file".  It's very simple to understand.  

Highlighted

New member | Level 2

please just fix this issue. i had never experienced this before, and now even with the command line ignore, dropbox is syncing my temp folders (which update very frequently). this is definitely not resolved, and i really think i have to move to insync or something.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 7

This moronic behaviour is killing me. It's back to its tricks, why Devs - friken why? Worst product support ever from a massive company, seems no one is attending to this isse. Good Job making people wait.

In this case I want the files on my PS, but not synced to Dropbox, so why the hell would I want to remove folders from my PC? Case in point - I just don't want you to continue syncing 10 million garbage files to the cloud! 

So give me the option:
selectivesync.PNG

References to simlilar requests/comments:

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?