cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to migrate without creating a mess?

Helpful | Level 6

Here's what I did:

1. Created an archive of my Dropbox using WinRAR, preserving all file attributes.

2. Reinstalled the system. (Win 10 Pro)

3. Restored the archive using WinRAR into: %USERPROFILE%\Dropbox

4. Installed, and started Dropbox.

Now part of the files are in directories augmented with "(Selective Sync Conflict)".

If there are too many files to download within reasonable time, then how do I migrate a Dropbox from one installation to another?

PS: I'm a developer, having written dbx-tools, and even I can't figure this out. Usability of Dropbox for desktop is really a shame. I guess the best advice is: Better don't use Dropbox for serious data, unless you're a developer or sysadmin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: How to migrate without creating a mess?

Helpful | Level 6

Admittedly, I first should've read the article How to use Dropbox to move files from one computer to another. The trick is to install Dropbox with a fresh directory, then pause syncing, then restore the archived data into %HOMEPATH%\Dropbox, and then resume syncing. My mistake was to restore the archived data prior to installing Dropbox.

After fixing the mess, I double checked the amount of data using Powershell (Explorer can't handle path names >260 chars):

Get-ChildItem \\?\C:\Users\Felix\Dropbox -recurse | Measure-Object -property length -sum

Count    : 280102
Average  :
Sum      : 196481629209
Maximum  :
Minimum  :
Property : length

Looks OK when compared to the archive. Phew...

Anyhow, I think my question is a good example of why there is a lot of room for Dropbox to improve UI wise. Data loss freaks me out.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Admittedly, I first should've read the article How to use Dropbox to move files from one computer to another. The trick is to install Dropbox with a fresh directory, then pause syncing, then restore the archived data into %HOMEPATH%\Dropbox, and then resume syncing. My mistake was to restore the archived data prior to installing Dropbox.

After fixing the mess, I double checked the amount of data using Powershell (Explorer can't handle path names >260 chars):

Get-ChildItem \\?\C:\Users\Felix\Dropbox -recurse | Measure-Object -property length -sum

Count    : 280102
Average  :
Sum      : 196481629209
Maximum  :
Minimum  :
Property : length

Looks OK when compared to the archive. Phew...

Anyhow, I think my question is a good example of why there is a lot of room for Dropbox to improve UI wise. Data loss freaks me out.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your concern in the end and awesome work on the extensive investigation! 

I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the team for review, so if you have any other additional thoughts, don’t hesitate to give us a shout.

In the meantime, have a wonderful week ahead, @feklee!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the kind feedback, Lusil.

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?