cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our users can answer all of your questions on files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to move a folder of photos from Dropbox to my PC

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi, I have recently joined Dropbox following a problem with my phone where all my photos disappeared. They weren't backed up and I lost them all. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge which I have linked to Dropbox and all photos I take with my phone are synced to it - great! When I installed Dropbox on my laptop I decided to sync all my camera photos, which are currently stored on my laptop. I moved my 'Photos' folder from my laptop to Dropbox. However, I have so many camera photos going back over a period of 10 years that my Dropbox has run out of space. It can't sync any more of my phone photos, which is the reason that I got Dropbox in the first place! I don't want to pay for extra space so I want to move my laptop photos out of Dropbox and back on to my laptop, where I will carry on backing up those photos to my external hard drive. How do I do this?? I clicked and dragged the folder from Dropbox to my documents folder but all it has done is create a copy of the folder. The photos are still linked to Dropbox and are still taking up all of my space.

I know I have rambled a little so to summarise, I want to use Dropbox to back up my mobile phone photos and I want to move my camera photos out of Dropbox back on to my laptop. Can anyone help please? I will be eternally grateful!

5 Replies 5
Highlighted

Re: How to move a folder of photos from Dropbox to my PC

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi, maybe you just created a shortcut, so it did not actually copy or moved the files. i suggest you right click on the folder and select "CUT" and go to your documents or pictures folder and right click and paste it there. i hope this would help.
Cheers,
Bernard

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

That worked, thank you so much! For some reason some of my older photos are not there but I have those backed up to an external hard drive, thank goodness! Thank you again!

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Great! you're welcome Kelly.

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

I have tried cutting my Photobox file in order to download it to my PC, but when I go to the folder in my Pictures where I want to put it, there is no paste option.  Any ideas?

Highlighted

New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

how do I get the photos that are in my dropbox folder to a folder on my tablet?

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Polls
Do you know how to organize your files and folders?
We have created a guide on folder best practice, so you can get organized now check it out here.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Need more support?