Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How to move large numbers of files from Camera Upload folder to other Dropbox folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I have Dropbox on my Android phone set to auto-upload all photos. They automatically go to my Camera Upload folder in Dropbox, which I only access online (not the desktop app). Now my Camera Upload folder has 18k + photos in it and takes 20 minutes just to load. I've been trying to parse out and move these photos out of the Camera Upload folder into other folders I created in Dropbox, so I can access them easier.

But...all I can manage to highlight/click/move are ~ 150 files at a time before Dropbox lags and glitches (not the fastest internet connection, either). This process is not do-able. I tried to use the desktop app to move the files, but it wouldn't let me access the contents of the Camera Uploads folder (which only exists online in Dropbox, not on my hard drive).

Anyone have a solution? I'd like to be able to access and move large numbers of photos from my Camera Uploads folder to other Dropbox folders so that file isn't so full. But 50-150 files at a time isn't do-able when it takes 20-30 mins just to load the page each time.

4 Replies 4
Highlighted

Re: How to move large numbers of files from Camera Upload folder to other Dropbox folders

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I'm having a similar issue, so I'll be intersted to see what the response is ... Thank you for asking the question.

Highlighted

Re: How to move large numbers of files from Camera Upload folder to other Dropbox folders

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @Geraintsgal, thanks for posting on the Community!

The first thing I’d like to look at is the site? Do you get the same behavior when using a different browser, or in incognito/private browsing mode without any extensions running? The ISP speed can certainly affect how efficiently the site works, so this could also be a factor.

Regarding the Dropbox desktop application, have you used selective sync to prevent the Camera Uploads folder from appearing on your machine?

If so, this would be why it isn’t syncing. If you have the space to sync the folder, this is usually the easiest way to organize folders, since the changes would sync to the site directly.

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Highlighted

New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

Hi Jay, I have the same problem and I don't think you quite addressed the OPs question.  He has photos in Camera Upload and wants to move them to other Dropbox folders - nothing to do with syncing to his local drive or another cloud - just moving photos from one Dropbox folder to another.  I've got the same problem - too many photos and no way to organize them.

To be specific, how can one move large numbers (hundreds or thousands) of photos from Camera Uploads to another DROPBOX folder (no local sync) in a timely fashion?

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Hi @RickSchultz, thanks for the info.

If you're only accessing your files via the site, and not the desktop app, then there isn't another method to change the location of the files without using the site.

You could try using the mobile app, which doesn't require the files to be downloaded, but if there are a large number of files, then you might run into the same issue again.

If you have any further queries, feel free to let me know!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?