cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to open word desktop in the online version

How to open word desktop in the online version

Sherly
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I open my document in microsoft word online version of Dropbox and I would like to edit it using my desktop app. How can I do this? There is no function for opening it in word desktop version. 

Screenshot 2020-07-26 11.03.12.pngScreenshot 2020-07-26 11.03.57.png

46 Replies 46

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jimmy2343; welcome to our Community and happy Monday!

Are you referring to a shortcut to a file of yours or maybe a shared link? 

Could you please let me know if you get any different results after clearing your browser's cache and/or on another browser

In the meantime, you can search for the file locally on your computer and access it from there. 

Keep me posted anyhow!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Good morning, I am getting the exact same issue on the Mac - we have a cross-platform company, so we are constantly sharing files via "dropbox links" so we can find the right file in the right location. I used to click "show in Finder" and it is no longer there, it has broken our workflow as the item just disappeared. I have updated my dropbox to v106.04.368 and I am on the latest chrome Version 85.0.4183.121. 

Would love to get some help on where this valuable feature has moved to. 

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Josh M. - thanks for joining us on this discussion, and it's great to hear from you again.

Are you not getting the "Open" option for all files or specific ones? 

For those that you can't see the button for, do you see them locally on your computer? 

Keep me posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes, I have them locally on my machine. Multiple users from our company are experiencing these issues. 

gabicatalyze
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

We're still having the same issues, and we're not getting the ability to open in the desktop app for any of our Office suite documents.

They are still visible in the desktop app, but you can't search by link in the app so (with our very complicated file structure) they are hard for us to navigate to. 

Thanks!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, thanks for your ongoing reports on this. 

I just wanted to let you know that the team is aware and working on the matter. 

As soon as we have an update on the matter, we'll get back to you. 

Thanks again!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jimmy2343
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi there, thanks for the reply!

I cleared the cache on the browser, and I tried in two others. It's the same. I have TONS of research PDFs. I'm using Airtable to organize them (I paste the Dropbox link in the spreadsheet). It has been working wonderfuly up until yesterday. I'm not sure what the issue is.

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

As an update to this - it came back for about a day and now the issue is back 

acboydston
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

At this moment, I see the two, previously missing opionts, 'open in Microsoft Word' and 'Show in Finder.' Hopefully, they stick around!

Jimmy2343
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, same here. It worked for a day or two, but not now.

Need more support?