cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to permanently delete files or empty your trash bin without waiting for 30 days

How to permanently delete files or empty your trash bin without waiting for 30 days

Jesse D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This actually works and I added a few things to clarify.

Per Mark Mc (SUPER USER):

Completely ignore that Trash folder.

• Go to the link I gave (www.dropbox.com/home)
  • There navigate to the folders where your were files are that you want permanently deleting 
  • Click on 'Show Deleted Items' - at the top, its a little trash can
  • That shows, in grey, your deleted items. 

At this point you will see all deleted items in all folders of your Dropbox mixed in with your active items.

• Click on one so it highlights, not the name of the item but the blank space after it.
  • Press 'Permanently Delete' listed at the top.
  • If you want to delete a batch, use the SHIFT or CTRL plus the mouse to choose or un-choose what you want to delete. For example, I clicked the top item and then scrolled down to the bottom and pressed SHIFT while clicking the last item. I could have permanently deleted everything but I need to remove the choosing of several items. For that I pressed CTRL and clicked each item. Then I clicked 'Permanently Delete' listed at the top. I had to do this within each folder to delete everything I wished to remove permanently. It is a pain but it is better than nothing.
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Not sure why this guide is necessary, its all covered here -  https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/delete-files 

View solution in original post

22 Replies 22

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Not sure why this guide is necessary, its all covered here -  https://help.dropbox.com/delete-restore/delete-files 

Jesse D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I went in search of how to do this early this morning but found nothing. I went the to forum to search and came across the information in one thread after searching through a number of different threads. Some of the access dates were as recent as May. When I went to the help menu to search for "empty trash" and other variations of phrasing, I kept getting the same threads I had already seen. So, I created a thread for the  answer that I found in case anyone else comes along looking. 

And I expect there might be more people looking to do so since Dropbox is changing so much of how users, especially free account holders, can use their accounts. I know several people who have recently deleted their accounts because it feels like DB is slowly forcing users into having access to less and less unless one holds a Pro account (i.e. one that pays DB money).

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

I googled "dropbox permanently delete" and the above link was top of the list.

My wife always says I can produce better search results than her, but Im baffled as to how I do it...

As for Dropbox making users have access to less and less in a way to force them to buy a Pro account, they have actually gone more the other way recently - shared folder permissions used to be Pro only, now they are available to Basic users as well. One example out of loads I can think of.

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Sorry, the above sounds a little facetious, its not meant to be - read it in more a jokey manner please, thats the intention of the tone.

pam w.7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The command list with "permanently delete" doesn't come up for me. Instead a pop up box with the file name and an option to restore comes up. I tried two different computers. I am not part of an enterprise or on a business plan with Dropbox. So there is no admin to remove my ability to permanently delete files. I was on the basic plan, but upgraded to pro thinking that might help. But it's still the same. I tried contacting support and just got a generic form answer that had nothing to do with the problem....  Any ideas how I can get this fixed?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Could you pop a screen shot of where you are seeing this Pam?

Also, remember, you need to be ignoring the 'Trash' screen part of Dropbox.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

pam w.7
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Mark Mc,  You solved the problem!  I was in the "Trash" screen part of Dropbox.....  It all works fine when I use the trash icon and "show deleted files".    Chalk this one up to user error...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Florence C.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My case is same as pam w. I tried two laptops and one desktop but no "permanently delete" was appeared. I re-install the updated version still can't help. Can you teach me how to fix it?

Richard P.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Florence, you can't "permanently delete" files from the desktop or mobile clients, only the website - follow the instructions in the link I give at the top and the advice that Mark gives later on.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    ilming New member | Level 2
    becalash New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?