cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how Community ideas impact Dropbox development? Check it out here

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to point "Computer backup" feature to Desktop and Documents folders

How to point "Computer backup" feature to Desktop and Documents folders

sasquit
Explorer | Level 3

I am unable to activate the "Computer backup" feature.  My Desktop and Documents folders are all in 😧 drive which I created to hold my data separate from my C: drive software files.  When I initiate the set-up routine for "Computer backup," the routine either A) instructs me to restore Desktop and Documents to their default locations, or B) shows "setting up..." followed by rotating horseshoes that spin forever but accomplish nothing else.

Does "Computer backup" not permit me to point to the Desktop and Documents folders on D"?  Do I really need to move both folders to their original location on C: for "Computer backup" to work?

Surprisingly, I did not find the answer to this question on the Dropbox Community website. 

33 Replies 33

Re: How to point "Computer backup" feature to Desktop and Documents folders

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @sasquit, I hope you're doing well today!

Do you currently have the Dropbox folder located within the C: drive or 😧 drive?

When setting up the automatic backup feature, both the Dropbox folder and the folders you want to backup will need to be located on the same drive. You can check out more info about setting up the backup here.

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

edwin76
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

I'm having similar issues with the function. Both the dropbox and folders I wish to backup are in the same drive (D:). I'm also getting "Not in default location" Error messages during setup. How can we resolve this, and why can't we determine the folders we wish to backup?

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for joining us here @edwin76!

If the Dropbox folder and system Desktop/Downloads/Documents folders are all on the same drive, then you should be able to backup those folders. 

Currently, these are the only folders that can be backed up to Dropbox with this feature. 

Could you send me a screenshot of the error that you're getting?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Luxor42
Helpful | Level 5

My Dropbox folder is also in my D:/ drive, as are my Documents and Pictures folder.  Windows understands that they are the "official" Default Documents and Pictures folders.  However, I get the same notice on Windows that they are on a different drive, and I am unable to proceed.  How was the problem resolved for the previous questioners?  Thank you.

Walter
Dropboxer

Hi there @Luxor42; thanks for the nudge here and happy Friday!

If both your Dropbox folder and the folders you'd like to backup to Dropbox are on the same hard drive, you shouldn't be getting this error message.

Just to ensure we're on the same page, can you send us a screenshot of the exact error you get? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

JDL2
Helpful | Level 6

ScreenShot030.jpgI'm having the same problem as those before me.  Here is the error message "Desktop....Not in default location" etc.  

The properties for Desktop, Documents, Downloads, and Dropbox show that they are all in "S:/John". 

The S: drive is an internal HDD on which I store all my personal files.  The C: drive is an internal SSD which contains the Windows 10 OS, program files, etc.

Your turn.  ;-}

ScreenShot031.jpgScreenShot032.jpgScreenShot033.jpgScreenShot034.jpg

Jay
Dropboxer

Hi everyone, regarding this matter, we've checked with the team directly.

To setup the computer backup, the folders must already be located on C:, the default drive for the folders, in order for the process to complete, and not previously moved via the OS to another location.

We're looking to update the help center article to reflect and clarify this matter for everyone.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

JDL2
Helpful | Level 6

Jay, 

Thanks for investigating this issue and confirming the functional behavior.  Unfortunately, confirming the behavior does not fix the problem. Keeping data files on a large hdd while storing the OS and program files on a smaller (and much faster) SSD is a pretty common practice to greatly improve the performance of a PC. Moving the data files (that need to be backed up) back to C: Drive (SSD) is not an acceptable solution due to the smaller size of the SSD. So, we still need a way to point the Dropbox Backup function to whatever drive contains the Documents, Desktop, etc folders to be backed up. Otherwise I am paying for 2Tb of storage that I don't need. Please let the team know if they can't fix this I'll be going back to the free plan.

Again, thanks for your help. Products can't improve if customer feedback doesn't get back to the right people. 

Luxor42
Helpful | Level 5
Couldn’t agree with JDL2 more. I signed up for 2 TB in good faith thinking based on the advertisint was an alternative to Amazon or Google’s backup systems, which work on any folder and across drives. Dropbox’s doesn’t do that, then you denied that the problem was real. Please provide the functionality I’ll have no good reason to keep paying for 2 TB.

The advertising says “Back up folders like your Desktop, Documents, and Downloads,” when in fact it’s exclusively those folders, and they must exist on the application drive. Standard consumer computers now come with multiple drives.

BLAB when will this functionality be available?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PiercedKari Explorer | Level 4
    ChuckRD New member | Level 2
    garyness New member | Level 2
    Psychobobicus New member | Level 2
    JDL2 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?