cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Tell us what you want to see on the Community here!
Close

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent Locked File from being opened?

Highlighted

How to prevent Locked File from being opened?

Helpful | Level 5

I was excited to see the new File Locking feature, but it turns it other users can still open the locked file - The only thing they cannot do is SAVE it.

Is there a way to have Dropbox lock the file in such a way that the person is not even allowed to open the file without asking for it to be Unlocked?

Without this, this "feature" will not work for workflows where the other person needs to know if they are ALLOWED to even open and work on the file, or if it is being worked on by someone else.

1 Reply 1
Highlighted

Re: How to prevent Locked File from being opened?

Dropboxer

Hi there @MLondon, I hope you're well today!

They should be seeing a pop up when opening the file that notifies them the file is locked for editing, and the file should be opened as read only.

There isn't currently an option to prevent the file being opened completely, but they should at least receive this warning when opening the file with an option to request the file to be unlocked.

Could you let me know where they're opening the file from that they're able to make changes to the file? 

Let me know - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?