cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to recover a shared folder deleted by the other user?

How to recover a shared folder deleted by the other user?

rtt890123
Explorer | Level 4

I have losted a extremely important folder which includes all of my book keeping & accounting info. When I notified my accountant we'd like to switch our accounting service to another accountant, he had then deleted that folder immediately with out our authroisation.

He set up the folder, then shared with us. We have the right to view and edit the folder, and everything in the folder is our accounting information.

Hope someone can advise and help us!

5 Replies 5

Celeste
Dropbox Staff

Hi @rtt890123, thank you for reaching out about this and I'm sorry about the experience you are having. 

If your accountant (i.e. the owner/creator of the shared folder) unshared the folder with you, then only they can grant you access again. You can ask them to do so by sharing it with you again.

Alternatively, if they deleted the folder in order to save up space in their account (perhaps without realising this would reflect on your end), you can ask them to restore it and transfer ownership of the folder to you, so that if they then delete it on their end it won't impact your access to the content. 

Also, have a look in your Events and Deleted files pages, to see if you can locate and restore any relevant deletions from there. 

Let me know if this helps!

Celeste
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

rtt890123
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Celeste2,

Would I get a notification as the folder has been deleted if our accountant (i.e. the owner/creator of the shared folder) unshared the folder with us? He is now pissed as we are asking to switch accountant, so he is unwilling to share the access to us again, or transfer the ownership of the folder to us.

Is there any way for us to restore this folder -and it actually shows deleted from our folder list? Many thanks!

Celeste
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for checking in, @rtt890123

When a folder is unshared by the owner, the other members do not receive a notification on their accounts.

If you see the deletion in your Events page, click on the blue hyperlink of the relevant event, and if it's possible to restore the folder on your end you will see a blue 'Restore' button on the top of the link's page.

Equally, if you see the folder in your Deleted files, you may be able to restore it from there as well. 

Do note, though, that even if you restore it the folder is still owned by another account and so can be deleted by them all over again. 

As a last resort, have a look through your linked devices, if any, on the Security page, so as to then comb through any currently linked devices' Dropbox folders in case this deletion has yet to sync to them. In this case, you may find an older, unsynced, version of the folder still local there. 

Otherwise, I'm afraid, only the owner of the content can grant access again.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

rtt890123
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

We did receive a notification that this file has been deleted. 

I can not see the deletion on our event page, as I guess it's not done by us.

However, I can see it in the list of folders, when I click show deleted folders, it shows up as one of our deteled files, we tried to restore it but it shoes an error so the restoration is unsuccessfull. And also when I clicked on deleted files on the left of the webpage, it shows no deleted files in there.

If as you said we do not get a notification when the other stop sharing the folder, which means it's deleted by the other user? If so, we should be able to restore it as our own file?

Many thanks!

Celeste
Dropbox Staff

Hey @rtt890123

Thank you for the update! 

I have reached out to you via email to the email address associated with your Community profile so that, if you like, we can look into this a bit deeper and see what happened exactly.

Keep an eye out for my message and reply when you can, and we'll take it from there. 

Thanks!

Celeste
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Celeste Dropbox Staff
    rtt890123 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?