cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove Desktop from Selective Sync

How to remove Desktop from Selective Sync

DJ-Specter
New member | Level 2

Hello, 

I accidentally selected Desktop when I was going through the initial Dropbox Desktop application setup, and now when I unselect it in the Selective Sync flow, it persists in my folder list. 

I also don't have the option to delete the folder like every other folder and file. Why is this one special, and how do I remove it, please. 

Cheers in advance! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to remove Desktop from Selective Sync

Rich
Super User II

@DJ-Specter wrote:

I accidentally selected Desktop when I was going through the initial Dropbox Desktop application setup, and now when I unselect it in the Selective Sync flow, it persists in my folder list. 

It's not Selective Sync that you want in this case. You enabled the computer backup feature.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II

@DJ-Specter wrote:

It's not Selective Sync that you want in this case. You enabled the computer backup feature.

View solution in original post

DJ-Specter
New member | Level 2

Amazing, thank you very much indeed! Sorted. 

woggie65
Explorer | Level 4

I am trying to stop the syncing of my computer (mac) to Dropbox. I have followed the instructions on how to change this via Preferences, however when I click SAVE, I receive the error message that "Couldn't stop backup" on my desktop folder, and to try again. I have tried several times, but the same happens.

What now?

Thanks...

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @woggie65, are there any other apps using files in the Dropbox folder currently?

Could you try rebooting your machine and quitting all open apps and try disabling the computer backup feature again?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

woggie65
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your timely reply...

This still didn't work, however. At that point it said "could not stop backup."

Should I perhaps delete the Dropbox app on the computer? Is there a way to un-install rather than just trash the app?

w

woggie65
Explorer | Level 4

I also tried disconnecting from wifi, and changing the backup settings. Same result - "could not stop backup."

Jay
Dropboxer
I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance on this matter.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropboxer
    woggie65 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?