cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove Dropbox and keep my files?

How to remove Dropbox and keep my files?

New member | Level 2

Hello,

I updated my account based on an e-mail I received and now files are gone and my entire desktop is synced to dropbox.  Did not want this and would like to get it reversed.  Continual loop to get to talk to someone or e-mail them.

I have personal data and would have never chosen this option and do not like the idea of taking over someone's machine without them knowing.  Beginning to think this is a virus.

Is there a way to talk to a person or send them an e-mail?  This is ridiculous and I have no intention or paying for this and once I get my files back will never use this again.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dee

1 Reply 1

Re: How to remove dropbox and keep my files?

Dropboxer

Hello @Dee Haney, thanks for dropping by, and sorry to hear about your frustration. 

Your support options depend on the account that you have.

You can find yours by logging in and going to dropbox.com/support

However, I'd be more than happy to help from here!

It sounds like computer backup was enabled, which backs up computer folders (such as the Desktop, Downloads, and Documents) to the Dropbox folder. 

In this case, you'll have to turn the feature off before attempting to move them back to their original locations. 

Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions for us. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?