cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Check out the Dropbox cheat sheet for getting started in 2021 here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove dropbox ghost file from laptop running Windows 10

How to remove dropbox ghost file from laptop running Windows 10

New member | Level 2

I just purchased new laptop, loaded Windows 10, then Dropbox.  Decided to delete DP since needed it more on three other devices.  But I uninstalled and still find what is apparently called a ghost file where I try to save basic text documents (using Wordperfect or Word).  I followed various forums here and deleted all other Dropbox apps that I located using explorer.  Empried recycle bin.  I even reinstalled and uninstalled Dropbox again. 

I now get a 'location not available' message when I try to open Documents file.  I still see dropbox under Users, even after deleted and restarting.  See the following screenshots.  Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to remove dropbox ghost file from laptop running Windows 10

Dropboxer

Hey there @Mick7; thanks for joining our Community!

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you enabled the computer backup feature at some point on your computer(s).

In that case, could you try restoring your Documents folder path as outlined here

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dropboxer

Hey there @Mick7; thanks for joining our Community!

Based on your screenshot, it looks like you enabled the computer backup feature at some point on your computer(s).

In that case, could you try restoring your Documents folder path as outlined here

Keep me posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
Still stuck? Ask me a question!
Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter,

That did fix the problem, and I learned another fix that will certainly help in the future.  I did not, however, set up computer backup - I presume that this occured automatically when I added the Dropbox app.  I certainly did not have this issue when I purchased a new desktop last year and added my Dropbox account.  So my docs now save correctly - but that Dropbox folder that appears in the screen shot is still there, even after deleting and removing from recycle bin (and completely uninstalling Dropbox from the computer).  

Thanks though.  Next time I'll use a community forum like this right away rather than spend hours searching what might turn out to be the wrong solution.

Polls
Are you starting new work habits this year?

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?