cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to remove files from dropbox backup without deleting them from my computer?

How to remove files from dropbox backup without deleting them from my computer?

Dixie605
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I allowed all my computer files to be backed up to dropbox. How can I remove these essential files from dropbox without removing them from my computer? I did stop the backup, but not before the program and set up files were backed up.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You can check if the backup feature has been disabled from the app using these steps.

Try moving out other files from the My PC folder to where they should be located on your machine, and keep me updated.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Dixie605, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you're referring to the computer backup feature. Are you certain it's disabled from the desktop preferences?

Are you missing any files on your account, or have you deleted any?

Are you able to move files out of the Dropbox folder to other locations on your computer?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Dixie605
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks Jay,

In regard to you your questions:

I am not certain the computer backup feature  has been disabled from the desktop preferences.

I opened file explorer, went to the dropbox section and dragged the file folders to my desktop. A dialogue box asked if I wanted to delete them from dropbox and I said yes. I can't tell if they have been removed from my dropbox account.

Are you able to move files out of the Dropbox folder to other locations on your computer? I moved them from the desktop to the places I thought they belonged; that is I moved "Program Files" to the Program files folder, etc.

It looks like the files I dragged to the desktop have been removed from my dropbox account. There is still my Documents file folder on dropbox. I'd like to remove it also and disable the backup option to dropbox.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me to help solve this problem.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You can check if the backup feature has been disabled from the app using these steps.

Try moving out other files from the My PC folder to where they should be located on your machine, and keep me updated.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Dixie605
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I did disable the backup feature following those steps. I successfully removed my files. Everything is fine! Thanks for your help!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad to hear it, @Dixie605, enjoy your week!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

TonyR3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have backed up my mac to dropbox inadvertently...if I delete it from dropbox will I lose all my files? TIA

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@TonyR3 wrote:

I have backed up my mac to dropbox inadvertently...if I delete it from dropbox will I lose all my files?

You need to disable the backup.

Julianrobert
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
This is long and I'm confused how it all works.
I'm using MacbookPro macOS Big Sur v11.4
I've had dropbox for quite a few years, just using it to share a few files with friends (but not syncing). Somehow a few weeks ago I must have responded to a Dropbox request for syncing and it's causing havoc. My bad.
I also run VMware and it seems that the file path now includes dropbox?!? Leaving that aside as the problems it's caused with my VM means I will need to reinstall. I've accepted that.
The BIG problem is dropbox seems to have copied My Mac drive - see image attached. I don't want dropbox to sync or backup or do whatever it's doing. I don't know how to remove My Mac from dropbox on my computer without deleting my files? A simple plain explanation would be helpful on how to remove 'My Mac' from dropbox without messing up all my files. I've tried and lost some files because of this. (again my bad)
Dropbox in Finder has all my 'Desktop' folder files and 'Documents' folder files and 'Downloads' - see image attached.
Dropbox via web has limited files - see image attached - and doesn't appear to be syncing or backing up at all any more.
I don't need any files in dropbox. Could I just delete the account?
Can I just remove it from the sidebar and will that stop it from copying stuff or will it delete all my files?
I've copied all the files onto an external drive to preserve them (as well as my Time Machine backups).

Also, is there any way to find out when the first dropbox sync happened?
Thanks in advance for help.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Julianrobert, thanks for posting to our Community today.

It looks like you have enabled our backup feature on your Dropbox application.

Have you tried following the steps in this help center article, to disable the backup and move your files back to their original locations?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?