cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Learn all about apps and Dropbox integrations to make working from home easy here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove files from dropbox backup without deleting them from my computer?

How to remove files from dropbox backup without deleting them from my computer?

Dixie605
Explorer | Level 4

I allowed all my computer files to be backed up to dropbox. How can I remove these essential files from dropbox without removing them from my computer? I did stop the backup, but not before the program and set up files were backed up.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to remove files from dropbox backup without deleting them from my computer?

Jay
Dropboxer
You can check if the backup feature has been disabled from the app using these steps.

Try moving out other files from the My PC folder to where they should be located on your machine, and keep me updated.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Re: How to remove files from dropbox backup without deleting them from my computer?

Jay
Dropboxer
Hi @Dixie605, thanks for joining the Community!

It sounds like you're referring to the computer backup feature. Are you certain it's disabled from the desktop preferences?

Are you missing any files on your account, or have you deleted any?

Are you able to move files out of the Dropbox folder to other locations on your computer?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Dixie605
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks Jay,

In regard to you your questions:

I am not certain the computer backup feature  has been disabled from the desktop preferences.

I opened file explorer, went to the dropbox section and dragged the file folders to my desktop. A dialogue box asked if I wanted to delete them from dropbox and I said yes. I can't tell if they have been removed from my dropbox account.

Are you able to move files out of the Dropbox folder to other locations on your computer? I moved them from the desktop to the places I thought they belonged; that is I moved "Program Files" to the Program files folder, etc.

It looks like the files I dragged to the desktop have been removed from my dropbox account. There is still my Documents file folder on dropbox. I'd like to remove it also and disable the backup option to dropbox.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me to help solve this problem.

Jay
Dropboxer
You can check if the backup feature has been disabled from the app using these steps.

Try moving out other files from the My PC folder to where they should be located on your machine, and keep me updated.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

View solution in original post

Dixie605
Explorer | Level 4
I did disable the backup feature following those steps. I successfully removed my files. Everything is fine! Thanks for your help!
Poll
How do you get refocussed while working from home? Do you find any of these options keep you from getting distracted?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?