cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restrict downloading files by members

How to restrict downloading files by members

Suzy01B
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi there, I am looking to upload some videos for people to "view" but not download. Is there a way to set this up this way? Once they have paid for their video, I would then like to give them access to download it. Let me know if this is possible.  Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for writing back, @Suzy01B

When you password-protect a shared link, you limit the access to the contents down to users who know the password, not the ability to download content. 

Currently, you can’t password-protect downloads. You can, however, disable or enable them manually from the shared link settings

In other words, if you don’t want users to download the contents, you disable the “download” option, and once you wish to allow them to download the files, you enable it. 

I hope this clears up any confusion. 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @Suzy01B

Currently, Dropbox Professional and Business customers can disable downloads for a shared link on the website or on the mobile app. You can find more info about this in this article

If you’re not sure which subscription your account is on, you can just check your Plan tab

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Suzy01B
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, Lusil. It says for Professional + Business accounts you can disable downloads for a shared link but does this mean I can share a folder for a client to view the videos and not download but when they have paid for them, I give them the password to download the file(s)? It appears from the article that the password is given at the point of allowing them to view the file but I was hoping for a password at the point of downloading the file(s). Can you clarify?

Thank you!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again @Suzy01B

If you apply a password to a shared link, it only limits users in regards to accessing the contents of the link. In other words, once they enter the password you have set, they will be able to view the files and download them. 

The option to disable downloads is only when you share the folder using a shared link and it’s only available for accounts on a Professional or Business subscription. If you’re not in any of these plans, I’m afraid the option is not available to you. 

I hope this helps clarify matters a  bit. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Suzy01B
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks, I was asking further because I am considering upgrading to Professional if I am able to provide a password to download a file, not a password to view a folder of videos.

From what you are saying, if I upgrade, I will then be able to provide a link of a shared folder of videos that people can view (and not download) until I change the settings on that folder (or files within the folder) to provide them a password at which point they will be able to download the video files I have authorized them to download. Correct?

Thank you!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for writing back, @Suzy01B

When you password-protect a shared link, you limit the access to the contents down to users who know the password, not the ability to download content. 

Currently, you can’t password-protect downloads. You can, however, disable or enable them manually from the shared link settings

In other words, if you don’t want users to download the contents, you disable the “download” option, and once you wish to allow them to download the files, you enable it. 

I hope this clears up any confusion. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

SuzyB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It sure does...thank you, Lusli!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
No worries, @SuzyB! Glad I could help. :grin:

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to give me a nudge. have a wonderful weekend ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Rob Kothe
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is there now a way with Dropbox business account administrators, who have shared folders with Dropbox basic users - to allow download of some files for example pdfs and word docs , while restricting other like low res mp4 video files to preview while allowing downloads of the high res version of the same videos?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Rob Kothe - thanks for the nudge here.

I'm afraid there's no way to achieve what you had in mind at this time. 

You can post your thoughts in our Share an Idea section so that other users can share their own feedback and up-vote it to show their interest in this functionality.

Let me know if you have anything else to ask!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rob Kothe Explorer | Level 4
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    SuzyB Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?