cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to resync existing local files to dropbox

How to resync existing local files to dropbox

David Noone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had a hard drive error that required me to reinstall Windows, which deleted all other programs including dropbox. The files still exist on my hard drive in the appropriate folders, but my newly installed dropbox folder is empty. Is there any way to direct dropbox to these folders? Somehow get that connection back? I have everything online, and two computers with different folders/files synced to each; is there any way to push the relationship my local and web dropbox had back onto my local computer?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Noone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks so much! Yes that helped, and created a new dropbox folder on my preferred hard drive (with small icon). I still have the original dropbox folder however (with large icon); Is there a way to just have one? I'm worried I will open and save to the wrong one and end up with conflicting files.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 092101.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

David Noone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I now have all the files in the new dropbox (it repopulated... makes sense), but still have all the old files in a redundant dropbox folder which still has a small dropbox icon). All I really want to do now is have all my local dropbox files on my E: drive which is larger; once I delete the redundant folder can I just drag and drop the new dropbox folder into the E: drive? Image below

David Noone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Screenshot 2021-02-20 101649.png

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Hi @David Noone 

Delete, or rename the Dropbox on E: to something else and then use the move Dropbox option in the menu to put it on the other drive. Please make sure its an internal one though. 

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder

For info if you ever need to do a reinstall again if you use the advanced install option you can put it on another drive during set up and point it at an already populated Dropbox folder 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

David Noone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks so much! Yes that helped, and created a new dropbox folder on my preferred hard drive (with small icon). I still have the original dropbox folder however (with large icon); Is there a way to just have one? I'm worried I will open and save to the wrong one and end up with conflicting files.

Screenshot 2021-02-26 092101.png

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
You should be able to change the settings of your Quick Access panel with the steps outlined here, @David Noone.

Let me know if that does the trick!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

David Noone
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You guys are so helpful Mark and Daphne, thanks so much. I didn't realize that was quick access, just showing me the same thing in a different place. Using that is actually easier than drilling down in the E: drive now that I know they're both pointing to the same thing. Sometimes these things just aren't self-evident to a 20th century brain. Thanks again.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Glad we could help out @David Noone!

If you need anything else, I'll be just a post away. 😀

Hope you have a great week ahead!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?