cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to share a Dropbox File or Folder with a Short URL

How to share a Dropbox File or Folder with a Short URL

Susan P.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I would like to make some files stored in my Dropbox, downloadable from a web page. For this reason, I would like to be able to create Short URL's for each file. I have read the following tutorial but it seems to be old: http://www.ampercent.com/link-to-dropbox-files-folders-short-url/6215/

Could you advise me please?

Thanks.

28 Replies 28

Adam S.40
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Neel M.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

why did dropbox remove the url shortening? Very frustrating. However the previously shortened urls that I created earlier for my public files still work. Thank god for that.

Mark (.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
It is still there. At least I got it just 2 minutes ago. If you click on the "Share" button, you don't get it. But right click on the file itself, select "Copy Public Link" and the ensuing dialog has a "Shorten Link" option above the right side of the text box. Works for individual files, not for folders.

George Leonardo
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

It's so annoying 😞

The enormous url makes no sense! I have no option when using the Finder shortcut, just the big/ugly url. The short URL should be a default.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

The shortened URLs were removed because many thought they looked suspicious/spammy. Apparently Dropbox received complaints (that's the information that was provided on the old forums). One of the only locations where they still existed was when sharing a link to Twitter. You could go through the process of sharing to Twitter to get the shortened URL without actually submitting the Tweet. You could then copy/paste the shortened URL to wherever you needed it.

Since this was an option that existed and was removed, it's highly unlikely that it will return. You're just better off running the URLs through a link shortening service like bit.ly or goo.gl. You'll get the added benefit of some stat tracking at most third-party services as well, which Dropbox has never provided.

Jeff L.30
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My resolution for short urls and how it came to be...I'm a Dropbox Pro user on Windows 10 with Snagit.

I constantly have to send support tix w/screenshots and explanations via regular email to website/CRM support teams in the car dealership industry because their support systems can't display inline images OR attachments coming from a regular Outlook email address. Their ticketing systems are beyond antiquated.

One day I saw the Snagit > Dropbox integration, set it up in under 30 seconds and the next time I took a screenshot (1), I highlighted the screenshot > clicked send to Dropbox (2) > within 3 seconds (3) Windows automatically puts the shortened into my clipboard (4) and I paste into email (5).

Much easier than a url shortener, Snagit does it for you.

Integration link: https://www.techsmith.com/snagit-outputs-windows.html 

Example walkthrough

Short Url: https://db.tt/832VFYyg 

></p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

Danny M.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Any way to default to a short link, or maybe custom link?

M.I.N.E. P.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

You can shorten your link within Dropbox. You can do this by following these steps:

(1) Select the file within your Dropbox folder by highlighting it (not clicking the link). Click an empty space anywhere after the name of your file.

(2) A new menu shown below will appear on top of the "list" of your Dropbox files

></p>
<p>(3) Click

(4) "Shorten Link" will be available on the popup box

Hope this helps! 🙂

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
  • (3) Click "Copy public link..."
  • (4) "Shorten Link" will be available on the popup box

That's only available for files located in the Public folder, which is a deprecated feature. Accounts created after October 2012 no longer have a Public folder.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Any way to default to a short link, or maybe custom link?

No.

Need more support?