cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you're up against the clock to get holiday ready, so here are some tips on how to use Dropbox to make your prep easy! Check them out!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

Lea6
Helpful | Level 6

There are 2 steps you could be missing.

One is on Dropbox online got to Settings and make sure you have that toggle switched on (see Emma's post from DB on that).

The second is this on your desktop widget: 1. Please go to Preferences - [Sync] tab, and ensure that under smart sync the "files added to web default" is set to "online-only". It sounds like your setting maybe local....

Also, I reinstalled and re-started inbetween everything. Good luck, hope it works. Drives you crazy this....

Jamesr1
Helpful | Level 6

Many thanks...

I'm definately "online-only", but the toggle wasn't switched on.

One, hopefully last question... are these files really taking up space or is it an illusion?  

If it is the latter, I'd prefer the see the file size and keep everything as is.

However, if I reached my storage limit "logically" on the mac, would it warn me or stop me adding more files?

Thanks again...

petelongworth
New member | Level 2

Dropbox... seriously?
The thread has been going since 2018!

Could you pretty please provide a clear list of how to effectively solve this probelm? 

I have converted countless files to online-only and my harddrive doesn't not reflect the changes. Having invested an hour of my life into this thread, it hardly seems respectful to paying clients to palm off responsibility to apple when you provide no insights to the potential issue before we go through the process. This is a invitation to restore some faith and provide the tangible steps required to deal with a problem we shouldn't have in the first place. 

Kindly.

Daphne
Dropboxer

Thanks for all your updates here everyone!

If you've already tried the steps outlined by Emma here, and this doesn't do the trick, then please reach out to our Support team so that we can look into this further with you alongside device specific info.

You can check out your Support options from here, depending on your current plan.

Once you've submitted a ticket, you can let me know the ticket number here (eg. #1234567), so that I can pass along the info you've already provided in your posts here.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

georgief
Helpful | Level 6

This doesn't work. My mac still assumes the files are taking up space on the hard drive, it just doesn't see them as documents. Now the files are stored as 'Other'.Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 12.35.48.pngScreenshot 2020-08-18 at 12.38.59.png

ivanflo
New member | Level 2

Have corporate accounts for dropbox and OneDrive, Have switched wholly to Dropbox specifically for this feature. 

ephierisho
Explorer | Level 4

As of August 27, 2020, this issue is still occurring. I used the Dropbox App to select a 160GB folder as online online and MacOS is still recognizing that it's taking up the space on the local hard drive. I've tried turning on/off Selective Sync, and restarting. I've also tried waiting a few days and restarting my Mac. I just submitted an email to Dropbox. What's going on here? Is this just a non-functioning feature?

Thanks.

coldstone
Helpful | Level 5

This is ridiculous to see that this issue still exists without resolution. I have already followed the steps described here and still see my mac complaining about out of diskspace. It renders using Dropbox impossible.

[Edit]  I have performed this step in addition to the steps described in the pinned message. From Selective Sync, I deselected Online-only folders -> restarted dropbox -> checked that Mac is no longer showing those files in manage-storage window -> added those folders back from selective synch. 

I'm forced to manually clear cache using selective sync with OS X

greatgooglymoogly
Helpful | Level 6

This is a ridiculous problem that many, many others have had for years: I'm using the desktop app with OS X 10.15.5 to backup large folders. I'm using smart sync. I have the "smart sync update for mac" turned on. I use selective sync to only show the folders I'm backing up.  Everything syncs fine but when a folder has finished syncing and is set to "online only" it still takes up memory (meaning that a 5GB folder still takes up 5GB). So I hide the folder with selective sync. No change. My only option is to manually clear the cache.

According to your own documentation, Dropbox, with the mac feature turned on, should allow me to sync a folder, set it to online only, hide the folder with selective sync, with the result that no local memory is used after syncing. Instead, I have to manually clear the cache. 

What is the deal? Do you have a path forward for this? 

Please don't ask me to supply a bunch of screenshots. I've worked in development - I understand that you need details to solve problems but this problem has been well-documented for years. For example:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Smart-Sync-still-taking-up-local-space/td-p/28...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Smart-Sync-still-taking-up-local-space/td-p/28...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Smart-Sync-enabled-still-taking-up-hard-drive-...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-files-folders/Smart-Sync-Online-Only-Files-still-using-disc-...

greatgooglymoogly
Helpful | Level 6
Need more support?