cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

Apiento
New member | Level 2

This still doesn't work for me and feels pretty fundamental. If I'm storing in the cloud it'd be great to see the files not taking up local space. I guess I don't get why this doesn't work. I've done everything we're advised to do and it's still not happening. Bit frustrating. 

Daphne
Dropboxer
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this @Apiento.

If you've already tried the steps Emma outlined here, please submit a ticket with our Support team so that we can look into this alongside some device specific info with you.

You can check out the Support options available for you plan here. You can also let me know the ticket number (eg. #1234567) so I can pass along your comments from here.

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Artspider
New member | Level 2

Hi 

This hasn't worked for me. I'm running macOS 11.2.2 Apparently I have only 8GB left on my hard drive 234GB is ghosted from dropbox which I have synced to be online only. I go to Manage files and the bulk of them are on dropbox. I had previously toggled the Smartsync update for Mac to on. Should I switch it off and on again? I worry that if I switch it off then DB will unsync everything and my HD will be jammed full. If I do switch it off - how long should I wait for DB to update the setting? I desperately need the space - please help

Walter
Dropboxer

Hey @Artspider; I'm sorry to jump in here, but if you've confirmed that the desktop app is 'up to date' in your menu bar, this space might be taken up by your cache folder.

Could you have a look and let us know if that's the case?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

scottgreenwood
Helpful | Level 6

Walter,

Dropbox has been giving us excuses like this for *years* now. The cache folder?  Users shouldn't have to investigate and deal with hidden files every time we use Dropbox.

Why doesn't your app take care of its cache like apps from virtually every other developer? Like OneDrive, Google Drive, Box, iCloud? This is beyond ridiculous. Just this thread is 114 pages and counting.

What is the timeframe for an actual fix that rolls out to Mac users instead of these continuing efforts to present these as case-by-case anomalies? Please start your response with an expected date so that we know this will be done, not another deflection.

Thank you.

holeshotphotos
Explorer | Level 4

I turned off SMART SYNC and went back to selective sync. I mean let's face the facts here... SMART SYNC is junk and it doesn't work the way it's supposed to. There is a flaw somewhere and all this nonsense of please start a ticket is just a bunch of politics. i know they have to have cases and lots of them to investigate but this is years of complaints and there hasn't been a fix yet. 

If you turn off smart sync and go to selective sync at least you get your hard drive space back. That's the only fix i've found. 

DoesSmartSynchWorkYetOnMac
New member | Level 2

Thank you for this.  I have also run into this "smart" synch issue, in 2021, on OS 10.15.7.  I was using the free version of dropbox to manage some small personal files on my laptop, but then was in a position where I had to upgrade because a company I'm working for uses it for much bigger amounts of media.  I don't want to lose the personal data I had on the free version, and had tried to figure out how to do selective synch on my laptop to avoid downloading the hundreds of GB from work, and stumbled upon Smart Synch.  "Oh, this looks cool," I thought.  Guess not.  What a gong show.  Selective Synch it is.

hello24
New member | Level 2

Thanks so much for solving this!!!!

stuphoto5
Explorer | Level 4

I have a 3.11 Tb hard drive on my mac..Every File is uploaded to DB online only yet 2.6 TB is being held by my mac..DB are not interested at all...keep spinning me off with bollocks ..So I'm paying for DB but not getting any benefits I've asked for a refund and they said sorry Cant do HAVE A GREAT DAY !  We have your files and your money ..Wasters

Re: How to stop Dropbox files set to Smart Sync from taking up storage space on a Mac

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @stuphoto5, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Can I ask if you've tried the steps shown here

Also, can you locate your Dropbox icon ( on the menu bar, next to your WiFi), hover your mouse there and let me know what the status of the Dropbox Desktop application is? 

Let me know, and we'll take it from there!

Lori
dropbox.com/support

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Need more support?