cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you an educator? Well we want to hear from you, so check out some tools we think might help you out here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync still taking up local space

mekmekmek
Explorer | Level 4

I had the same problem, my computer was completely blocked to the point I couldn't even open a file in Photoshop. I was just about going crazy. 

Actually, clearing the cache just saved my life! Thank you... Chat support and nobody could help me.

Hope I don't have to do that on a regular base, though.

YoMateo
Helpful | Level 5

Same problem, which I've "fixed" several times.  I turned on the Mac modification in Dropbox.com many months ago.  I deleted the Cache (which is very frustrating to have to do manually) but that only saved me 22gb of perhaps 200 that Dropbox has hostage.  I work for an small org and am the most technically savvy person on our team—if I can't figure this out very soon, I will need to suggest we move to a new platform, for we all use Macs and I'm not the only one facing this issue.

I'm using MacOS 11.2.3 and my Dropbox is "up to date."

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

sitcomboy
New member | Level 2

The fix advised by Emma worked fine for me, but I do miss being able to see both the true size in the Finder's "Get Info" box for Smart Sync'd files or folders as well as the bytes on disk.  It would be useful if this feature was restored in a future update, or is there an OS-related constraint in Big Sur which prevents Dropbox modding the "Get Info" box to show this unlike previous macOS / OS X releases (Mohave captioned below)?

Screen Shot 2021-04-29 at 3.07.43 pm.jpg

hard disc space

Antoine50
New member | Level 2

I am still having trouble with disc space. I have macbook pro and I have smart synced a “Pictures” folder which on dropbox is said to take 105GB. When i "get info" on this folder in Finder I get thus report:
105,176,622,878 bytes (6.53 GB on disk) for 3,263 items ... so I should have 99 freed-up GB right?
BUT I KEEP GETTING THE "YOUR DISK IS ALMOST FULL" MESSAGE, AND I can’t open my Dragonspeak app due to “inadequate disk space” AND WHEN I CHECK ON MY HARD DRIVE IN FINDER I GET THIS INFO:
Capacity 500.07GB
available: 2.35 GB
Used: 496,144,658,432 bytes (496.14 GB on disk)
The other weird thing is that even though the “pictures” folder is showing a 99GB saving of space in “get info” in finder, when I right-click on the folder, and hover over the “smart sync” option, I still find that “local only” is checked.
What gives??
PS I did activate the "smart sync update for Mac" toggle in the set-up folder in my on-line dropbox account

Re: How to stop Dropbox files set to Smart Sync from taking up storage space on a Mac

stuphoto5
Explorer | Level 4
Same problem... Drop box support nil.... Bought a hard drive.. As I'm not paying for dB and not having any space.. Its a joke.. They are interesed in refunding anything either.. Useless!

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

mv8
New member | Level 2

Thank you for the info 

So strange the programmers don't put is as standard since this is the reason people use the ONLINE ONLY function... It has been causing me headaches for a while. Even seriously thinking of searching an other paid online storage application after using dropbox for 5+ years.

Storage issue Mac

LMM25
Explorer | Level 3

Hi I'm working on dropbox from my Mac. A week ago toggled on the new smart sync update for Mac on dropbox and all of my files are online. I recently added a large folder to dropbox and even though it is online only its wiped through my Mac storage. My Mac is saying I only have 12.11 gb of 250 even though I have nearly no files on my computer other than dropbox. My Mac is constantly telling me my storage is almost full and trying to have me update storage even though it should not be full. Any suggestions on fixing this "full" issue?

Re: Storage issue Mac

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @LMM25, wishing you a great Thursday! 

Can you share your app's syncing status with me? 

Also, have you tried the steps Emma outlined here

Let me know what you find.

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

LMM25
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

My dropbox is up to date and nothing is syncing. 

I did the steps Emma mentioned a week ago. No changes.

Lori
Dropboxer
Hey @LMM25, happy Friday!

If I were you, I would check if this space is being taken up by your cache folder.

Can you give this a go, and let me know?

Lori
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
We love to learn from the educators who use Dropbox. Whether you teach kids, teens, adults or a combination of all three, we want to know what apps and integrations you use with Dropbox to help with teaching. Which of the ones below is your favorite, or most used tool?
Need more support?