cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Back again with another edition of 'How we use Dropbox', so find out how Ross uses Dropbox to answer some new house questions here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to stop Dropbox files set to Smart Sync from taking up storage space on a Mac

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

Apiento
Helpful | Level 6

This still isn't working for me and my computer is down to it's last 20gb and starts not being able to run the programmes that I (ideally) need for work. Any idea? Solution? Have just deleted the cache again and turned everything on and off and still nothing. Do I have to delete the app again? I seem to be doing this once a week at the moment. Its not ideal tbh : (

Re: Storage issue Mac

LMM25
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, everything was saving in my cache again and thus on my hard drive so I tried to clear my cache but it deleted all my files, and now I do not know what to do. Please help

Re: How to stop Dropbox files set to Smart Sync from taking up storage space on a Mac

musikkemi
New member | Level 2

Solved for me at least...

Disk view showed 84GB occupied by Dropbox even thought all files were set to online only.

Steps:

1. Quit drop box

2. Copy the Dropbox-folder to a backup location. NB! Here I expected it to take hours. It went in a jiffy... It showed that the dropbox folder was just less than 5GB..

3. Uninstalled Dropbox (i.e deleted it from the App-folder.)

4. Reinstalled Dropbox (by downloading it from Dropbox).

5. Restored the Dropbox folder from the backup location. (Dropbox installation asked me to...)

6. Right clicked the Dropbox folder and selected Smart synk->online only... (As Dropbox started to update the files again)

Done!

My Dropbox folder only occupies the HD space that my selected files needs.

ryanams
New member | Level 2

Hey Lori,

I am having the exact same issue. I have gone through every single page of this thread to try and find new information and try to make fixes, but I can't find anything. 

Please help, I can't work off my laptop due to this - outlook even closes itself as I don't have 150mb of available space!! 

Thanks 

psychocomic
Helpful | Level 6

the only prob with this is that my drop box contains at least 300 GB and it would take a long time to copy it. Dropbox, you need to come up with a better solution.

terra1983
Helpful | Level 6

I'm getting the same on my macbook.  Has ground the computer to a halt by filling up the hd to the max and has rendered the machine completely unusable.

Luckily I have a second machine where this issue isn't happening and I can continue to work from there, but it has messed things up big time as I still need the laptop, which at the moment is powered off and collecting dust.

I'm right in the middle of a dense project with multiple team members and clients, and have no time to sit and sort this out. Furious.

psychocomic
Helpful | Level 6

I'm having the same problem, and I've been having it for months. Dropbox can you please fix this I'm tired of how long this is taking

psychocomic
Helpful | Level 6

Emma, I've done everything you suggest and it's still not working. Can you please advise? This has been going on for way too long and makes dropbox completely unusable.

Apiento
Helpful | Level 6

Can I ask why this is marked as solved as its er not?? It's a pretty basic requirement that is really messing up a lot of our machines. Anyone have any other options bar Dropbox as I am thinking it might be time to change. I have a NAS but its very slow so looking for a cloud storage system that works. 

lukeyo
Super User

Sorry there are still people having this frustrating issue!

I'd advise opening a support ticket directly as there may be particular things in your installation that will need to be ironed out on an individual basis.

Need more support?