cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

Apiento
Helpful | Level 6

Or maybe you could solve it and we can all get the answer as no one is currently. 

lukeyo
Super User

DB did implement a fix which users can activate by switching the "Smart Sync update for Mac" setting to "On". This solves it for some users, but not all clearly.

Engineers can only fix when they see how the problem is occuring for users, so really do encourage you to open direct support ticket to get this resolved for all of us. Thank you!

scottgreenwood
Helpful | Level 6
It isn’t a fix. This has been the case for a very long time. DB personnel just keep telling people to start support tickets, but there is no actual systemic fix that’s been implemented.

Added a new Mac Mini M1 recently as a clean installation not migrated from a previous Mac and decided to install DB to see if this massive defect had been finally rectified. Within 2 days, it was unusable, with “online only” files from DB completely filling the SSD. Wiped it clean and did not reinstall DB.

This supposedly fixed issue has now done the same thing on all 3 of my Macs.

Keep waiting — it’s been years and DB hasn’t or won’t fix this. They first blamed Apple for the shift to the newer file format — just wait, they’ll soon be blaming it on the shift to the new M1 architecture of the processors. Anything to avoid actually fixing their product for the paid Mac users still using it.

lukeyo
Super User
Hi Scott thanks for the post. I’ll try what I can to escalate this issue (I’m not staff just a user like you) Agreed it’s a fundamental issue for many Mac users.

I know it’s not what you want to hear, but a support ticket is a good idea as well.

scottgreenwood
Helpful | Level 6
Thanks for the reply. If you have some pull with these folks, terrific.

Yes, I’ve done the support ticket runaround. No change. On the new Mac Mini, I didn’t bother. On a brand new machine with no third-party software, DB simply failed by again treating all files as local and filling the drive. There’s nothing for DB staff to blame here except their own product, which they won’t do.

Hannah
Dropboxer
Hey @scottgreenwood, sorry to hear about this situation.

Can you please go to our support page and open a ticket about this from the email associated with the account you have linked on your new Mac Mini?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Apiento
Helpful | Level 6

Its just not actually dealing with the problem though guys. 

scottgreenwood
Helpful | Level 6
Hannah,

No, I’m not wasting my time on the Dropbox snipe hunt. How about you give us all a definitive timeframe for when Dropbox engineers will actually release a fix that works for all modern Macs, instead of continuing to treat all of us as anomalies over the last several years?

Apple isn’t changing its file structure or chip architecture for a third-party software product. If Dropbox intends to support paying Mac customers, Dropbox needs to fix its catastrophically broken product, period. When, exactly, is that going to happen? Please answer — we’re all waiting for a truthful answer at last.

Re: How to stop Dropbox files set to Smart Sync from taking up storage space on a Mac

jsig000
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the help- I tried this but when I tried to copy dropbox folder to my desktop, I recevied a message telling me that it couldn't copy because some of the files in my Dropbox folder weren't accessible?????

rusticblonde
Helpful | Level 6
This doesn’t work at all! It’s still taking up 160GB on my harddrive no matter what I do!
Need more support?