cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop Dropbox files set to Smart Sync from taking up storage space on a Mac

Re: Smart sync - specific files still retained on local disk

lukeyo
Super User

@juxta great news, and thanks for sharing. BTW is this the Safari (or other browser) Cache we are talking about?

I'd be interested if clearing the cache after updating settings resolves this for others?

juxta
Explorer | Level 4

Clearing the dropbox cache

lukeyo
Super User

Ah of course! 

For others that may not know, this is how to clear the cache:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/cache-folder

rusticblonde
Helpful | Level 6

Tried this to no avail. Their support never came back as well. This is why i am looking for an alternative solution. As clearly they are useless!

AudioWMC
New member | Level 2

The solution listed here didn't change anything.  It's been over 8 hours.

afmusicgroup865
New member | Level 2

Hi!

I've followed these steps and its still didn't work. I'm using about 15% of space  from apps and documents, but DB is using almost 400gbs

themaybeblock
Helpful | Level 6

123 pages of messages later and this is most certainly NOT SOLVED. Why are my video files still taking up GIGS and GIGS on data even though I have set them to online only repeatedly with no change?

Apiento
Helpful | Level 7

It 100% is not solved for me and it really is ridiculous that something so fundamental to a product doesn't have teams of people solving it as an emergency. This is pretty terrible service tbh. I'm also surprised that there isn't a better option on the market. iCloud throttles the computer with the speed of uploads and downloads.... I might have to try Amazon or has anyone else given up and found a good solution? I'm getting bored of waiting for this to be fixed now (sadly as I really like the whole aesthetic and how everything else works). 

ChristineStow
Helpful | Level 6

I also had this question so I am going to use this response.

Thank you so much for asking it 

Apiento
Helpful | Level 7

It seems Dropbox don't care tbh. No one is addressing this and many are clearly suffering. My computer is pretty much maxed out. I think I might just go the hard drive route unless anyone has a better idea?

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rose8 New member | Level 2
    lukeyo Super User
    Apiento Helpful | Level 7
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?