cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Re: How to stop sharing content someone else shared with me

How to stop sharing content someone else shared with me

JimGasperini
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am finding it extremely difficult to remove files and folders other people have shared with me from my Dropbox.

For example, I have agreed to share a folder created by someone else. Several people have access to this folder. One of them has placed a folder there containing huge files that I do not need. I would like to delete the sub-folder and its contents from my Dropbox, but when I select to do that I am told that will will delete it for everyone. I have followed various documentation pages and threads, but none of the advice there worked. I am told for example to "select the dropbox next to your name" by a shared folder, but no matter what I do I never get such a dropbox. All I see is that I am able to edit. I see no way to remove my ability to edit.

Meanwhile Dropbox is warning me that I am over my limit and sending constant requests that I upgrade. It seems to me the system is designed like a roach motel - content gets in but can never get out. I would appreciate any advice, even if the only solution is to stop using Dropbox.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @JimGasperini, I'd be happy to help out with this!

As you mentioned, you're trying to remove your access to a subfolder of the main folder that was shared with you right?

Unfortunately, it's not possible to remove yourself just from a specific subfolder, you would need to remove your access to the whole folder. This is why you're not able to click the "Can edit" option to remove your access.

What I could suggest is to have your access removed to the shared folder, and then ask the owner to only share with you only the subfolders that you need access to.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @JimGasperini, I'd be happy to help out with this!

As you mentioned, you're trying to remove your access to a subfolder of the main folder that was shared with you right?

Unfortunately, it's not possible to remove yourself just from a specific subfolder, you would need to remove your access to the whole folder. This is why you're not able to click the "Can edit" option to remove your access.

What I could suggest is to have your access removed to the shared folder, and then ask the owner to only share with you only the subfolders that you need access to.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?