cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know all about tools for creatives that work seamlessly with Dropbox, like Adobe? Well, check it out right here!

Dropbox files & folders

Get in sync with the Dropbox Community. Our members can answer all your questions on Dropbox files and folders. Join a discussion or start your own today.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to stop the syncing of local files to the online dropbox

How to stop the syncing of local files to the online dropbox

glenfiddich1983
Explorer | Level 4

First of all, English is not my native language so I hope you get what I mean.

I am probably doing something wrong but my intention is to use dropbox as a way of backing up my important files like photo's.

Now I use the PC app and it keeps a copy of all my dropbox files on my computer. If I manually open the local dropbox folder in explorer and make a change to the local file, it also automatically updates the online version on dropbox.

This is completely NOT what I want! Because this means that if my local files get infected with a virus, or get corrupted because the hard drive failes, dropbox just updates my emergency backup with the corrupted files! This way my backup is effectively worthless.

Now of course I can stop the auto-syncing of those folder, but that way the folder is not visible anymore in explorer.

Basically what I want is to have access to my online files and folders in explorer, preferably having a local version of my dropbox files for easy and quick access to them, but I want the offline version to be updated by the online version and not the other way around. In other words: the online version should be "leading", if you get what I mean.

How do I realise this?

2 Replies 2

Re: How to stop the syncing of local files to the online dropbox

glenfiddich1983
Explorer | Level 4

I also tried the "online only" option with Smart Sync, but files that I marked as "online only" still appear in the local folder. And when I delete them from the local folder, they are also deleted online :unamused:

Re: How to stop the syncing of local files to the online dropbox

Daphne
Dropboxer

Hi @glenfiddich1983, I hope you're doing well!

I'm afraid that it wouldn't be possible to keep a local copy of the files that will stay in sync, but only update from the online version.

However, if something should happen to your local files, such as corruption or ransomware, then you can restore the previous version of the file through Dropbox.

As long as the changes to the files were made within your account's version history window, you can restore a previous version of a file. You can check out more about this here.

While it's not exactly what you were looking for, I hope this info helps.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Poll
Do you work or study in the creative industry? If so, which area?
If you use Adobe, don't forget to check out our latest integrations update here.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropboxer
    glenfiddich1983 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?