cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving Synced Data To External SSD Drive & Backing Up That Drive

Moving Synced Data To External SSD Drive & Backing Up That Drive

John H1
New member | Level 2

To free up space on my notebook and assist in my DAW performance, I'm using a new external SSD drive to directly write new files too and I want to move my large existing files (already uploaded to Dropbox) to this new drive.

I am trying to move these large audio files from my notebook Dropbox folders which become ultimately available "online only", to the external SSD drive then want to back this drive up using Dropbox Backup.

The issue I am having is that to move the existing "online only" files they are needing to be downloaded first, then copied to the new external drive and then, once I click to back the new external SSD drive up, will be uploaded back to DBx Backup facility. This process is clogging up my notebook to the point it' going to take days and can' do too much on it.

Question: Is there a way to move these "online only" [already uploaded] files directly to the Backup folder one time only to save downloading them, copying to the new drive, then re-uploading the same files???

Maybe I am missing something very easy?? is there a better way? Can i sync two drives instead, maybe??

Many thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @John H1, thanks for posting today!

Currently, this wouldn't be possible via the Dropbox desktop application, since online-only files don't reside on the computer, the files need to be downloaded first into the Dropbox folder.

You could try downloading the files directly from the site into the external drive, though bear in mind there is a size limit for downloads.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

John H1
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the quick reply!

It would have been great to simply move the files in DpBx directly to a backup, a two way would be even better! This would save days of down and up load of the same files.

Another related question is; can the external SSD drive also be synced to DpBx?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox Backup feature can backup external drives to the site directly. The backup would be one-way and would only be visible from the site.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    John H1 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?