cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to turn off link previews

How to turn off link previews on Paper?

monerap
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I created a doc called "links". When I copy my links to doc, I want to see only URLs, not thumbnails. Is this possible?dd.jpg

33 Replies 33

sagardk
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I guess they've not fixed this yet.

Lasse
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Since Dropbox is unable to provide a working solution, here is one.

HOW TO STOP DROPBOX PAPER FROM ADDING LINK PREVIEWS

1. Install some kind of adblocking plugin, eg uBlock Origin for Chrome
  2. Add a custom filter rule:
    ||paper.dropbox.com/integrations/embed/unfurl

DISCLAIMERS

• This solution might break other Dropbox functionality, because this seems to cause Paper to throw JavaScript errors, which don't seem to affect Paper right now
  • This solution might stop working at any moment, because it depends on the current implementation of Dropbox Paper

Ben O.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Appreciate the idea, but I just stopped using Paper in favor of Apple’s native notes app. I’m tired of hearing Dropbox’s excuses for awful UX, especially when they choose to spend money on terrible UI overhauls and embarrassing marketing campaigns rather than fixing the problems reported by paying customers. I’d love to dump Dropbox entirely, but, unfortunately I haven’t found a better alternative. Drive is good, but Google is evil, so I wouldn’t even consider their products.

no108
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Is it possible to get this fixed? This is very annoying to work with, should be an option. Many other services that add link previews allow you to turn it off, eg Slack.

jukka
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm trying to give Db paper a second change and moving my notes from apples notes app to paper but this really sucks a**

It messes up everything

I can just guess that it does so with every other document also

If this is still not have global disable option, it's a real fail.

have to look another solution.

nalb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Want a solution that doesn't force you to have to use code block when not doing code. Please just turn link preview off by default. We don't want distracting graphics and text when we just want a link. Terrible feature.

nalb
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

ok, not great but better than accepted solution checked below. Should turn off this spammy thing by default. Graphics are a huge distraction when you just want a url.

jukka
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes. Please dropbox fix this. Your product is generally going to the wrong way,

like the new ui on the desktop. Nothing useful, just distractions and can't find what you want. Classic shell already did everything needed.

Keryn1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes please fix this so it's optional. I want it to show the URL link but also be able to click to take me to that link - not show a preview

izgzhen
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I asked their support to make it optional as well -- but it seems a very low priority to them. I think they do understand that UX is bad. However, you will notice that they turned all links you pasted in as a redirection -- which means that Dropbox might track your clicks through that functionality. If you can switch it off by default, they can no longer track you.

Need more support?