cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to turn off syncing?

How to turn off syncing?

Jon L.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just discovered today that Dropbox automatically copies everything in my Dropbox storage to my local harddrive. I have no idea why this is a default feature, since automatically copying 1TB of files to my computer defeats the entire point of having cloud storage.

Is there a way to disable syncing altogether? I am perfectly capable of uploading and downloading my files on an as-needed basis.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I have no idea why this is a default feature, since automatically copying 1TB of files to my computer defeats the entire point of having cloud storage

This is because this is the whole point of Dropbox - it is what it was designed and intended to do. It is not 'just' cloud storage. It is a syncing tool. It is supposed to sync everything between computers. 

To disable syncing to the computer close and/or remove the Dropbox application from your machine and just use the website to upload and download 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

I have no idea why this is a default feature, since automatically copying 1TB of files to my computer defeats the entire point of having cloud storage

This is because this is the whole point of Dropbox - it is what it was designed and intended to do. It is not 'just' cloud storage. It is a syncing tool. It is supposed to sync everything between computers. 

To disable syncing to the computer close and/or remove the Dropbox application from your machine and just use the website to upload and download 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Jon L.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Is there a way to not sync everything in my Dropbox account, but rather only sync select files? To opt out of syncing and only opt-in for specific files?

I've looked into Selective Syncing, but it doesn't load the folders in my account; It only loads one "Dropbox" folder with the message "Trying to connect to Dropbox..."

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

You can use selective sync, 

And if you are getting that message something is causing issues on your machine with Dropbox's connection (firewall/antiviruses etc.)

Yvonne C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I need to manually sync as I live remotely and pay for data.

I successfully turned of synchronizing and now that I am in a wifi zone have updated, but now I cant find where to turn it off again!

I thought is was in the preferences file but can't find it.

help?

Yvonne C.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

ps nowhere in your HELP does it answer this question.

there is only information of pausing and resuming a sync....

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Yvonne C.3 New member | Level 1
    Mark Super User II
    Jon L.9 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?